Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
3sheets86
Forum Regular

Default Anyone know of a small border pipe bag?

My reelpipes came fitted with a medium Bannatyne and it's too big for me to get my arm comfortable. The are bellows blown by the way.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb
Default Re: Anyone know of a small border pipe bag?

On two sets of my smallpipes, I had a problem when my shoulder had a problem, I just bought size small pipe bags, cut the holes and tied them in. The ergonomics came out correctly, with no special bag. I used L&M but nothing special other than "no grommets" comes to mind.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
pj chowning
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Check with Michael MacHarg at the WeePiper - he can make a great hide bag in any size.
pj chowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Do some experimenting with bulldog clips and your bag cover to get the right size then get a seamstress to take the bag cover in that size. Won't do any harm.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
Rob_Say
Forum Member

The medium Bannatyne bag is I think 248mm in depth (10.5"). Coming from the smallpipes (and BP) world - that counts as x-large and you need a certain size of frame to play a bag that size without restricting the wrists and hand movement with bellows pipes.

I'd echo the suggestion to experiment - I've done this a couple of times with people of different shapes. Get the bag flat, fold over the bottom inch and fix this either with strong clips or gaffa/duct tape righ round. This will give you a feel of playing with the small bag (not really a long a term solution) Once you've decided it is right for you then pick your bag to suit.

There are differences in bag shapes - if you want to stick with Bannatyne then you have:
* extended small: 241mm (9.5")
* small: 228 (~9")

Personally, (especially in the UK), I'd get one from Jackie Boyce: http://pipebagmaker.com/products/5-lowlandborder.aspx
I play BP with a 9" bag in the Ross pattern but have learnt that my preference is generally considered small by others.

Doing a bag transplant is not a massive task - but requires confidence and an acknowledgement you might get it wrong. Paying someone else involves ..well .. paying them.

Keep the existing bag - you can always go back to it and retie.

hope this helps

Rob
Rob_Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #6
3sheets86
Forum Regular

These came setup by Fred Morrison, presumably they are sent with his preference with regard to bag size but he's probably much bigger than me. I'm only 5'10 and 11 stone in weight. I'm new to bellows pipes and I think that this size of bag is really hindering my progress, I'm hoping it's just the bag anyway! I play a small or extended small on my GHB's.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Dakota Lewis
Forum Member

Default Anyone know of a small border pipe bag?

My highland pipes have the leg from a pair of pants over the bag. It works great I got that trick here and now my hand doesn't get numb any more 👍👍

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dakota Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote