Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #31
stever
Forum Regular

Default Re: World's Qualifier

I was looking forward to hearing Bob Worrall's commentary but it seems to be missing.

Great performances. I haven't heard the entire competition but all I have heard has sounded excellent.

Sorry- just figured out that Bob Worrall is adjudicating!

Last edited by stever; 08-15-2014 at 01:56 PM.
stever is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #32
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Lawson View Post
Without trying to unfairly influence, I must respectfully disagree, John, with what I perceive to be the essence of your statement. I do agree that Triumph Street, for instance, is manifesting as a very legitimate potential top 6 placing, so it makes that part a horse race.
I think we're probably more in agreement than you'd think. Triumph St. was indeed a lovely. Better'n I expected. They look fairly young too. Another good sign for them in coming years.

Maybe it's my bad speakers at work...and the fact that I was dipping in and out a bit while at work, but I thought Cullybackey sounded better than I've heard them in past years. Just a gut feeling.

So, yeah, basically Triumph Street potentially making some significant noise. But, overall....I think that the distance from the top 5 and the bottom 5 is narrowing with each passing year. I guess it's my econ thinking. The improvement that the top 5/6 can make is pretty marginally small compared to what those who have been on the margin (and below) of the qualifier can make.

I guess part of my impression of it is influenced by the 'journey' of the Stewies. Officially a grade 2 band in their home association, that got beat a few times by grade 2 bands in Canada this season, but yet turn out a fair and square grade 1 effort.

Again, though...too......this is one of the few times I've actually HEARD the qualifers. I suppose I listened to some of them in the past, but never as closely because by the time I was awake to listen to them, the finals were already underway. Last year I missed them because I was busy triathlon training on Saturday. So, it's possible my thoughts are effected by a not insignificant paradigm shift in what I think I'm listening to.
John Haack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #33
McCombe
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
I was looking forward to hearing Bob Worrall's commentary but it seems to be missing.

Great performances. I haven't heard the entire competition but all I have heard has sounded excellent.

Sorry- just figured out that Bob Worrall is adjudicating!
Yup, adjudicating Friday, commentary on Saturday.

I wasn't able to catch the qualifiers, so now it's time for me to watch some of the runs. I'll be up for the finals, though!
McCombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #34
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Enjoyed Cap Caval's performance. Next time I'm over, we're wearing traditional Texan attire. Shorts and t-shirt.
Add some Rainbows flip-flops and you have most Southern Californians covered too.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #35
Hebridean Society Piper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
Add some Rainbows flip-flops and you have most Southern Californians covered too.
Beware Dowco Triumph Street Lads and Lassies
Hebridean Society Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #36
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default World's Qualifier

Via FB, I understand Stuart got 8th out of the 11. So iirc that leaves Ravara, Toronto, Peel, or LA at 7th. Doesn't matter who really, they beat 3 established grade 1 bands. I still can't get over how good Triumph Street sounded. I thought splitting that last comp with SFU might have been a one time deal (not having heard it though), but, I was definitely wrong about that.

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 08-15-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #37
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Enjoyed Cap Caval's performance. Next time I'm over, we're wearing traditional Texan attire. Shorts and t-shirt.
I don't think shorts and t-shirts would qualify under the RSPBA's "National Costume" rule but jeans, cowboy boots, western shirts, and cowboy hats probably would do. As long as everyone is matching! (I've always found it odd that American PBAs require Highland Dress but the granddaddy of them all, the RSPBA, doesn't do.)
Old 08-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #38
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Lawson View Post
...watching the massive ferris wheel...
or The Glasgow Eye, as I call it.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #39
wysper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
So did I, I read a few people getting stuck into their drum sound but I liked it overall. I also liked the fact they weren't in Highland Dress. It made a nice change for me.

That's not to say I want to see the Kiwi bands in black singlets and gumboots but seeing something different from time to time is refreshing.

“Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.” ― Paul Brandt
wysper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #40
Kittykat
Forum Regular

wysper... can't quite see Richard Hawke and cohorts as Fred Dagg types...