Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Competition Results
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competition Results Post and discuss competition results here.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
MacCoinnich
Forum Member

Default Re: Ppbso agm

Agree very much that the technology is easily there.

Perhaps the newly-elected EUSPBA President (and others in EUSPBA or in other Associations) could take on this challenge.

There needs to be a willingness to move away from the status quo, and try a new system that announces results on line, as a Games M.C. announces on a loudspeaker.

Easily caveated as "To Be verified," as data clearly needs to be scutinized, and changed/corrected if required.
MacCoinnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: PPBSO AGM

Back when I was WUSPBA Webmaster, I talked to other IT people in the various associations about pooling resources and coming up with one grand online system that could be shared amongst the associations and modified slightly as needed for each. The PPBSO had a Java-based program that was being developed and was actually implemented to some degree. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough traction for a unified program across the associations. (Lack of communication, lack of commitment, lack of whatever.) Personally, I still believe it's a waste of effort and money for the associations to all be developing their own parallel similar systems.

WUSPBA is currently working on a system that would involve judges using tablets to score bands, all results would be entered digitally onsite and uploaded and automatically processed. I stepped down last year after almost a decade in the WUPSBA administration, so I don't know where that project is now in terms of development. Other projects have petered out in the past when the core person left, but I hope this one happens. The WUSPBA AGM is this weekend, so I'm sure a lot of folks will be updated then.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: PPBSO AGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
WUSPBA is currently working on a system that would involve judges using tablets to score bands, all results would be entered digitally onsite and uploaded and automatically processed.
Does that mean we'll finally be able to read the score sheets?
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #14
tbrown747
Forum Clasp

It probably means there's not going to be much in the way of written notes on the scoresheets...
tbrown747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Andrew Lenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown747 View Post
It probably means there's not going to be much in the way of written notes on the scoresheets...
My understanding from last year is that there would be a combination of nested menu check boxes (maybe like Tuning -> Drones -> Out or Tuning -> Chanters -> E -> Sharp) and areas to handwrite notes ("pipers left of PM pushing tempo in last bar in S of MSR"). But it wasn't even at prototype stage then, just planning.

Again, can't say where WUSPBA is now.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Old 11-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #16
Richard Strayer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
Again, can't say where WUSPBA is now.
It's on the agenda for a demonstration to event organizers Friday night; however, I've seen some information regarding the new system and I can say that it includes cybernetic implants for the judges and a holographic display module that will actually use temporal displacement to post results before the competition even occurs.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
Andrew Lenz

And WUSPBA membership dues are going up to $12,000 per year . . .

Andrew

Old 11-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
Hebridean Society Piper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Strayer View Post
The only secrecy in WUSPBA are current competition results and aggregate standings.
You go Boy. Wuspba is slower than whale [swear word removed] on a dry rock.

[Moderator note: In accordance to our forum rules, refrain from using vulgarities. Thank you.]

Last edited by moderator team; 11-26-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Hebridean Society Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
Hebridean Society Piper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebridean Society Piper View Post
You go Boy. Wuspba is slower than whale [swear word removed] on a dry rock.

[Moderator note: In accordance to our forum rules, refrain from using vulgarities. Thank you.]
I second the nomination for Richard Strayer as facilitator/statistician. Kick some DELETED Richard
Hebridean Society Piper is offline   Reply With Quote