Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Advice on Dave Shaw NSP

I have come cross a set of NSP by Dave Shaw in a local add here in Norway. It's a 7 key F set. Looks ok by the photos in the add but I have yet to contact the seller with a zillion questions. The add states they are in good working order. Priced at around GBP 700 it might be a rare chance to pick up a decent set.
Bill Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-27-2017, 02:49 AM   #2
Rob_Say
Forum Member

Default Re: Advice on Dave Shaw NSP

Dave is online (a little bit): http://www.daveshaw.co.uk/html/north...es___pict.html

Dave's sets are well made, well tuned and very stable. They are generally considered to be quite loud in comparison to say Burleighs. I am continually impressed by his drone reeds (wood body, cane tongue) - every Shaw set that has crossed my bench needed only the most minimal of tweaks to get these reeds working (one flick after 15 years sitting in the box in one case). I'd always want to put a Shaw chanter reed in a Shaw set - although I soften them to reduce pressure & volume.

The majority of his sets I've seen in the wild use what I would call a French style bag - which is held slightly differently to the traditional NSP bag; some players prefer this. A number of older sets used an artifical rubberised bag that doesn't have the lifespan of leather - if it's one of these and over 10 years old, then it will likely need to be replaced.

On the face of it that's a very good price (50% off the price of a new set).
Rob_Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Advice on Dave Shaw NSP

Thanks for the advice Rob. These are from the late 1980's though I have not asked about the bag. Drone reeds were new from Shaw last year. Chanter reed is in good order but I make reeds so it would be easy enough to make a new one.

I have made an offer on them and am waiting to hear back from the seller.
Bill Carr is offline   Reply With Quote