Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-27-2019, 07:03 AM   #11
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhs209 View Post
Matthew - no, not from the future. As far as 'chanter frequency', as I mentioned in another thread (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...ght=2019+setup), I am at mid 460's with my solo setup.
Ahh, your "(I started late in the year of 2107)" threw me for a second..
I was hoping for some info from the future!

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #12
Andrew Lenz

There's an old photo of my pipe case on the page linked below:
http://www.bagpipejourney.com/articl...econtent.shtml

(I have since added a few more medals to the straps, plus I have a biggeró"PM's case"óthese days.)

If anyone's curious, I can snap a photo of my "medals frame" that's typically hidden behind my bedroom door...

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:21 AM   #13
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

My wife works at a Childrenís Hospital and the kids have a prize closet where they can select a toy after a clinic visit. I give my awards for this and Iím hugely gratified when I hear a child selected a medal I donated.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #14
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
My wife works at a Childrenís Hospital and the kids have a prize closet where they can select a toy after a clinic visit. I give my awards for this and Iím hugely gratified when I hear a child selected a medal I donated.
Wow .. this is really cool. Where is this John? I see you're in Maine, and I'm not too far (Salem, Mass.)óI may elect to do this myself.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #15
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I stopped competing years ago when I started playing for weddings, funerals, civic events, etc. I still have the few medals I won in a box with my BSA Eagle and Ad Altare Dei medals, and a couple of Jimmy Fund Marathon walk medals. The only time I've worn the medals was once, when I played for an Eagle Scout Court of Honor, I wore Eagle and Ad Altare Dei on my Prince Charlie.

I'd like to hand them to my grandkids, if I ever have any.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #16
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I won a few awards in the two seasons I did solos. Maybe I'll get back into solo competition again. Had to stop to focus on other things.

It's generally accepted (at least here in CA) that you can wear your medal(s) on the day you earn them - and maybe the rest of the weekend for multi-day games - as long as you're not in competition. No one wears their medals from one games to the next.

As far as what to do with them? I keep mine in a small wooden box. I don't have them labeled as to which contest they were for, but I have all my old scoresheets that I can reference if I need to.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 AM   #17
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Wow .. this is really cool. Where is this John? I see you're in Maine, and I'm not too far (Salem, Mass.)óI may elect to do this myself.

Cheers,
~Nate
Hi Nate,

We recently moved back to Maine (yay!). This was at a children's hospital in Fort Worth. If you want to pursue this, contact an outpatient clinic for your local children's hospital and ask if they have a reward closet for the kids.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:54 AM   #18
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
Hi Nate,

We recently moved back to Maine (yay!). This was at a children's hospital in Fort Worth. If you want to pursue this, contact an outpatient clinic for your local children's hospital and ask if they have a reward closet for the kids.
Will do, thanks! Welcome back to New England! Hopefully see you 'round the games?

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #19
Elizur Wright
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I'm not a competing piper, but whenever I get medals from running road races, I hang them on the Christmas tree. This means they get safely stored with the other tree ornaments, and get put "on display" once a year. Not to mention they help create a unique look for our tree.

I would imagine you could do the same with piping awards (at least the medals/pins... this would be tough with trophies and platters!).
Elizur Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #20
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhs209 View Post
I do have a question but background first:

This year starts my second full year of solo competitions (I started late in the year of 2107). In the last year and little bit, I have been fortunate to win a couple of medals.

So the question - what do you do with the medals that have been won (and hoping to win)? Shoe box? Hang in display? Looking for ideas/suggestions.

Chris Shepherd

Just depends on how big of a deal it is to you, I guess. I display mine in a shadow box because Iím very proud of myself and how far Iíve come. And I find the medals to be tangible proof of approval from people who are way more qualified to do this than I am, and evidence that Iím doing something correctly.

They might be cheap medals that were made in China or whatever, but mine are significant. On the other hand I know people who have won so many that they just end up giving them to their kids or just storing them away. Different strokes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite possibly one of the only Iranian players of the Highland Pipes in the world.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote