Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-01-2019, 12:49 AM   #1
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Default Four part (maybe five, max) Pibroch recommendations?

Ancient or modern. Looking to start a new pupil and donít feel the need to overwhelm.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Four part (maybe five, max) Pibroch recommendations?

Duncan MacRae of Kintail's Lament. 4 parts in Kilberry, 3 parts in the PS. Nice melody and the fingering isn't tricky. No taorluath or crunluath in those settings but another version has them (Colin Macrae of Invereenatís Lament).

Paul Hinson
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Not sure if complexity is a concern, seeing as you said this is for a new pupil. But Lament for the Little Supper is a nice sounding tune, which is just Ground, Taorluath (singling and doubling) and Crunluath (singling and doubling).

So that's 5, I suppose .. depending on whether you count the taor and crun singlings and doublings as separate parts? I'm assuming that you do.

Reason I was wondering about complexity is for that one, it's a breabach (sp?) ... so that might be weird to get one's head around (it certainly was for me .. it was my 2nd piobaireachd), and it also has D movements, and plenty of high Gs. So again, not sure if that's good for someone starting out, but I didn't want to assume.

I was also recently introduced to the Park Piobaireachd #1. Two parts, and that's it. No Taorluath or Crunluath variations. Still not a short tune though ... those parts are quite lengthy. I think the time to play the tune is something around 10-12 minutes, depending on the way you draw things out.

Then there's Salute on the Birth of Rory Mor Macleod. Just 4 parts, none of which are Taorluath or Crunluath variations. Jim McGillivrary has it as the first tune in his book "Piobaireachd Fingerwork." Of all the tunes I've mentioned here, I think this is probably the easiest of them.

Hope that's a help.

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 05-01-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
Tom MacKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

I would recommend Jimmy McIntosh's book "Ceol Mor for the Great Highland Bagpipe". It is an excellent book based on the teachings of the Bobs of Balmoral.

The first 6 piobaireachds are very accessible to a new player, simple and melodic, but they cover all the basics of piobaireachd playing.

Struan Robertson's Salute, 5 parts, U, Ts, Td, Cs, Cd
MacIntosh's Banner, 7 parts, U, Var 1. s, Var 1. d, Ts, Td, Cs, Cd
Glengarry's Lament, 7 parts, U, Ds, Dd, Ts, Td, Cs, Cd
Lament for Donald of Laggan, 5 parts, U, Ts, Td, Cs, Cd
The Little (Wee) Spree, 5 parts, U, Ud, Var 1, Tripling, Cs
Lament for Kinlochmoidart, No. 1, 7 parts, U, Var 1. s, Var 1. d, Ts, Td, Cs, Cd

tomm

Last edited by Tom MacKenzie; 05-01-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Tom MacKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Donald MacLeod's Field of Gold is probably the single best tune for what you want.

The melody is beautiful.

It's got four parts. Urlar, Var I (S), Taorluath, Crunluath.

The urlar has a thumb variation inside it, and the Crunluath features both types (standard and fosgailte). There is probably no other tune that packs as much of the piobairached form into so few notes.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
Donald MacLeod's Field of Gold is probably the single best tune for what you want.

And not to tough to play or memorize also!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinson View Post
Duncan MacRae of Kintail's Lament. 4 parts in Kilberry, 3 parts in the PS. Nice melody and the fingering isn't tricky. No taorluath or crunluath in those settings but another version has them (Colin Macrae of Invereenat’s Lament).

Paul Hinson
I played this at my first competition last year. I don't get lessons in piobaireachd specifically, so I learned it by listening to recordings and reading the setting from the Piob. Society. I played it with the two variations, then repeated the first line of the ground, and when I was done the judge told me that I had "skipped" a variation! I almost said, "the same one John Burgess skipped?" but decided not to be a wise guy. I didn't know about it, and now that I've looked it up I don't like it, so I hope it doesn't count against me because I intend to play the same thing this year. It's still a solid 7+ minutes of playing, which is fine for a newbie I would think.

Anyway thanks to everyone in this thread, I'm looking to learn some more piobaireachds, but don't feel up to playing a crunluath variation publicly yet, or a long piece.

Last edited by DapperDan; 05-01-2019 at 05:39 PM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I played this at my first competition last year ... I played it with the two variations, then repeated the first line of the ground, and when I was done the judge told me that I had "skipped" a variation! I almost said, "the same one John Burgess skipped?" but decided not to be a wise guy.
It would be a good idea to tell the judge from the outset which setting you intend to play. If it's in the PS books with the 3 variations, then I find it very unlikely playing it that way would count against you, provided the judge knows what you're intending to do.

That being said, I don't know anything about this tune. But I have played some tunes which are different from Kilberry to PS, and I've had to clarify at the beginning what I'm playing.

And I'm glad you weren't a wise guy. Really, the judge doesn't have to say anything to you after your performance, apart from "thank you."

Glad you might have discovered some new tunes from the thread. Happy piping!

Cheers and chunes,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
Steven Knox
Forum Member

I think it depends on two things: where your student is on the musical/technical axes, and whether or not your student intends to compete with this tune.

With regard to the first consideration, some people might prefer starting with a tune such as The Pretty Dirk (2 parts), which is sort of medium on music and medium on technique. Others might prefer The Old Woman's Lullaby (3 parts), which might need more musical thought than the Dirk but has almost no technique to worry about (unless rodins are a problem, but they can be played kind of big). Others might prefer Lament for Alasdair Dearg (5 parts) because it has a relatively simple, easy-to-follow, melodic ground and then they can just S-M-M-S their way through the rest (no cadences), while getting to play rodins, dres, daris, darodos, hiharins, taorluaths, crunluaths, and even "the Viscount movement". In the same vein, but a little less technically challenging, is Sir James MacDonald of the Isles' Lament (4 parts).

With regard to the second consideration, I don't know what EUSPBA judges would make of someone submitting The Pretty Dirk. It would probably be better, if competition is a goal with this tune, to play something such as in the list of six tunes mentioned in an earlier post.

Speaking of that list, I've only tried to teach two people and, with competition and music both as goals, I started them on MacIntosh's Banner (7 parts: U, V, V', T, T', C, C'). It has a lovely melody punctuated by very natural, easy-to-approach cadences in the singlings.
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Thank you all. These are great suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote