Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Hair sporran length

Anyone know the milspec rules for wearing the trad military hair sporran?

I’m aware of the ‘one hand breadth below the belt buckle’ guide. But it chaps me when, in the same civvy organization,..there are sporrans hanging way below the kilt bottom, or worn level with the kilt bottom ( makes sense ) and still others with tails longer or shorter than the next guy.
A real dog’s meal of sloppy kit.
It seems most Regimental orgs wear the sporran hair hanging below the kilt bottom....a ‘uniform’ amount. Easy to do when taught properly initially,the same sporran, and there’s a D&D Drummie always breathing down your neck.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-16-2019, 04:38 AM   #2
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Hair sporran length

The rule as far as I ever heard was a finger's width below the bottom edge. But can one get hair sporrans in short, medium and long lengths to fit the wearers?
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:43 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe View Post

The rule as far as I ever heard was a finger's width below the bottom edge. But can one get hair sporrans in short, medium and long lengths to fit the wearers?
getting different lengths..good idea ...I suppose if you were close to the fan in Scotland ( or CAN) and could call the actual maker for a chat its do-able.
It would take a very dedicated civvy band QM to go the distance and make it happen.

IIRC....in Regimental pix the center of the rounded bottom usually appears to be about 3 below the kilt hem.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
Lochie
Forum Regular

Possibly not a hard and fast rule, more of a guideline due to the different sizes of the soldiers.
I was in the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa.
The soldiers and NCOs wore a slightly smaller and shorter horse hair sporran and aimed for about an inch above the kilt hem if I recall.
The band sporrans were bigger all around, and we aimed for about an inch below the kilt hem.
Tall soldiers had no problems, very short soldiers likely pulled out sharp scissors when the RSM & Quartermaster weren't watching...
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Anyone know the milspec rules for wearing the trad military hair sporran?
It amuses me to see modern Drum Majors and others create "milspec rules" for things like that, which traditionally had nothing such.

For example a look at hundreds of photos of Highland regimental pipers and pipe bands show the plaids of the same band at the same event having plaids of a wide variety of lengths, some nearly touching the ground, some being much shorter. Then I read a "rule" somewhere that the plaid "must" be such-and-such length. It strikes me as wholly modern, and out of touch with the history of Highland Dress.

One aspect of how far the hair of a sporran goes down is how low the sporran itself is worn. In the old days they tended to wear the entire sporran lower.

Here in the mid-19th century; the hair goes down to the tops of the hose-tops in some cases.

Here rather lower than the tops of the hose-tops

But that's 100 years ago! They don't wear sporrans well below the kilt in modern times! Or do they?

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 06-19-2019 at 03:01 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote