Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-09-2019, 02:45 AM   #1
SwissMatthias
Forum Regular

Default Loch Lomond sheet music

Hello,
I am searching for the sheet music of Loch Lomond. In which book(s) I can find them?
Thanks for your help.

All the best from Switzerland
Matthias
SwissMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-09-2019, 06:17 AM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Loch Lomond sheet music

It's in every Scottish tune-book, pretty much.

I'm talking standard music books, not pipe arrangements.

And I'm sure you can instantly find it online.

Now, if you're talking bagpipe-specific arrangements, be aware that the tune cannot be correctly played on an ordinary GHB using ordinary technique.

So you're faced with playing the tune in the key of D, and missing one high note (which would be High B), or playing the tune in the key of A, and missing a number of low notes (which would be Low F# and Low E).

Pick your poison!

Please don't be trapped into whatever GHB arrangement you happen to find, but explore the pro's and con's of both keys.

As a general rule with such tunes I think it sounds better to raise a portion up an octave than drop a section down an octave; thus I think Loch Lomond sounds better in the key of A, where the high notes are all correct, and a few low notes have to be raised.

In A it starts

A A B C B A
B A B A F E F

(the F E F an octave higher than where they should be)

the advantage to this key is that the highest note is now your ordinary F.

In the key of D that highest note is out of the GHB range (unless you're good at playing High B's, which some pipers are!)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

As Richard says, the traditional melody doesn’t fit the scale given the A drone limitation.

Instead of compromising the melody, I would compromise the bagpipe. Tune C# and F# to C natural and F natural, turn off the drones, and play the tune in C major. It fits within the scale provided you’ve retuned C and F; though it’ll sound a little funny against A drones which is why I’d turn them off.

I played the tune on my G major smallpipes just this morning because of this post. My smallpipe chanter has a back thumbhole for C natural (so given the angle it’ll look like I’m playing B, but I’m not, I’m playing C natural, every time as there are no Bs in the tune in this key) and you can see the blue tape turning my F# into F natural.

https://youtu.be/AunahwJgriM

I’d be happy to provide further assisstance if you want to pursue this route, just ask.

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 08-09-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well, I had the pipes out all afternoon so threw this together real quick, a highland pipes example:

https://youtu.be/b7erUykkbJ4
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Once I learned to pinch a high B, Loch Lomoid/Red Is The Rose bcame a regular part of my repertoire, along with a number of other tunes that have High B and High G#., Like The Boys Of Wexford, The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen, The Lark In The Clear Air, Take Me Home to Mayo- dozens of tunes that don't fit in the usual 9.

"Pinching" is a technique Lowland pipers used fairly commonly- open the High A hole very slightly ( I put my nail into the hole rather than the pad across it Finger a B and with a very skight increase in pressure, there you go. It depends on having a chanter reed that is somewhat easy, but not too easy.