Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
Bill Peters
Forum Silver Medal

Default Scots Guards pipers No. 1 dress jackets

In this month's Piping Times (August 06) there's a picture of Ross McCrindle and the 1st Bn Scots Guards in No.1 Dress. Does anyone know where these No.1 tunics/doublets were made or purchased, or were they just made by the tailors of the Household Division? The Inverness flaps have no buttons on them and the cuffs and front have the buttons grouped in threes, as per regt'l custom. Thanks for your help.

"...Everything is possible for him who believes" Mark 9:23
Bill Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Scots Guards pipers No. 1 dress jackets

I suppose any good Highland outfitter could tailor such jackets. Look in the front of the Scots Guards I book: there are photos which show the differences between "Full Dress" and "No. 1 Dress". The No. 1 dress jacket has no piping, is single-breasted with buttons in threes (due to the fact that the Scots Guards are the third Guards regiment), has no ornamentation of any kind on the "Inverness flaps", and has plain cuffs with three buttons along the rear seam. I don't think any other regiment has a jacket like this- sort of a blend between a Scottish doublet and a "blue patrol dress" jacket. The Full Dress jacket of the Scots Guards is also unique, fastened down the front with hidden hooks-and-eyes (they didn't have zippers in the old days) with two rows of non-functional buttons on either side, unique "castellated" shells, piping that only goes down the inner edge of the largest front Inverness flaps, and unique collar decoration consisting of a button with a line of soutache braid (the Pipe Major however has embroidered thistles on the collar as well as silver 1/2" braid on various parts of the doublet). The Full Dress doublet, like all military and civilian Scottish jackets, has three buttons on each cuff.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:24 AM   #3
DoogieG
Forum Clasp

The jacket will be just MOD issue..The Household Division is special..but not enough to warrant its own tailors!!!

http://www.silvermans.co.uk

They deal in all sorts of equipment and even as a squaddie I used to buy stuff from them.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Roger Huth

Kashket and Partners in Shoreditch made my Pipe Major's tunic in 1988.
I suspect that they are still in business.
They are very expensive by the way.
Cheers
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
SGDrummie
Forum Member

Kashket and Partners do indeed make not only the No.1s (or Patrols) but also the full dress doublets for the Scots Guards, and they also manufacture the Guards regiments scarlet tunics as well. Also, the Guards regiments DO have their own Regimental Tailors, as do just about all the regiments in the British Army. They are "B" class tradesmen I believe.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

BTW here's a Scots Guards Full Dress Pipe Major's doublet.

I don't have a photo of a SG No1 Dress doublet.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Rob MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogieG View Post
The jacket will be just MOD issue..The Household Division is special..but not enough to warrant its own tailors!!!
Perhaps not now, but well into my day the Guards and Highland Regiments (and probably every other regiment that wore Full Dress) had a Serjeant Regimental Master Tailor and as many apprentices as he was prepared to put up with (many of whom were 'Boys' and 'Lads') working in their QM Stores.

We made (and later repaired) spats, kilts, trews, pipe-bag covers, tartan weskits, piper's and drummer's plaids, all from scratch. We sewed the Drummer's Lace onto their Full Dress jackets, maintained and repaired sporrans, cross-and waistbelts, replaced the ribbon binding and tails on glengarry bonnets, altered Service Dress jackets to fit better, sewed on rank and trade badges, double-soled and hobnailed the brogues and boots, and court-mounted medals.

In short, every damned thing worn by all ranks passed through our hands at some point in its service life.

In my Grandfather's day (pre 1914) the QM also made the feather-bonnets and probably much else.

It was a good system: It saved the Crown an absolute packet, it ensured the Regiment was smartly turned-out (which the boffins and big-hats too often forget the importance of - dress a man so he feels proud of himself and you get a better man out of the bargain) and it started a great many of us at our trade.

Now that there are nasty rumours of peace (and its 3 attendants: 'cutbacks', 'maltreatment' and 'neglect') this system is more important than ever as we seek to avoid the attention of the acountants.

Even now that the system has been officially dropped, there are a few of us still at it: I have 8 apprentices myself and we're busy doing everything I listed in the 2nd paragraph.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I just came across this YouTube video by accident, the Scots Guards competing at Pitlochry in 2006, which clearly shows their No1 Dress including their No1 Dress doublets (which are completely different from their Full Dress doublets).

Note that there are two Pipe Majors!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=896HQm1_d0s
Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Neil Clark

Jim Stout, I/C Cadet piping and Drumming recently kitted out the Cadet Pipes and Drums with Patrol Jackets, same thing without the buttons.

I believe RG Hardie measured the kids and provided them. From what I saw they are equal in quality to our old no1 dress jackets
Old 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
I just came across this YouTube video by accident, the Scots Guards competing at Pitlochry in 2006, which clearly shows their No1 Dress including their No1 Dress doublets (which are completely different from their Full Dress doublets).

Note that there are two Pipe Majors!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=896HQm1_d0s
interesting...coincidentaly I've seen that video and have tried to obtain hose like those. The 'major' maker I know ( opposite of Tall ) has twice failed to provide me quality bespoke hose ( missed stitch/holes at the diamond intersects, too short/not per measurements provided, irregular match at rear). Annoyingly long wait ,only to be returned.
Anyone know good alternative makers?...any in USA?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote