Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default 6/8 Steamboat from the Nutcracker Ballet

As the holidays roll around, I have to ask this question. We play the little 6/8 tune Steamboat. I have noticed the same exact tune as part of Tschicovsky's (sp) Nutcracker ballet score.
Anyone know who borrowed from whom on this one? Most know the story of Green Hills from Rossini, but this is another "pipe" tune taken from the classics?
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Wulls

Default Re: 6/8 Steamboat from the Nutcracker Ballet

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicbagpipes View Post
is this another "pipe" tune taken from the classics?
Probably........
There are loads of melodies from classic composers used in other instruments and arrangements going around.
It continually amazes me when prople do not recognise a composers work other than a TV theme or advert.
Ride of the valkyries by Richard Wagner is a classic example being used in many many war movies (Appocolypse Now springs to mind)........
Incidentaly the definition of a true intelectual is a person who can listen to Rossinis William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger
Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Charlie Rutan

to say nothing of pipe tunes lifted by classical composers.

most notably, Handel (of 'Messiah' fame..) who lifted numerous Italian & Sicilian zampogna/ciaramella melodies.

my votes in favor of the pipe tune coming after the Tchaik, however.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
x-ray
Forum Silver Medal

Not to de-rail the thread....

I think it's also known as The Hills of Caithness

Perhaps Hills of... was taken from the classics and Steamboat is the plagiarized version ?

Or vice-versa.

Cheers
Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
okstatepiper
Forum Regular

While not commenting on these particular tunes, it was very common for classical composers to use common everyday folk tunes as a base melody for their classical pieces. They then would develop those themes into the melody or phrases that became the masterpieces. Composers also used many early religious themes (i.e. gregorian chant) as theme material. They did this so the the "folk" would recognize and have a connection to the music. With bagpipe music being folk music, a lot of the themes are recognized as familar to other older folk genres, as well as to the themes of classical music.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, then everyone would do it. The "hard" is what makes it great. Jimmy Dugan
okstatepiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
LegalCat
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I'm just curious: was the production where you heard "Steamboat" (which I know as "Steamboat Quickstep," but it's clearly the same tune) a production of the normal "Nutcracker," or was it the version by the Mark Morris Dance Group, "A Hard Nut"? I just saw that yesterday and I also noticed the use of Steamboat Quickstep, but I'm wondering if it's from the original Tchaikovsky score, or if it's something the Mark Morris guys threw in, which is just the sort of thing they'd do.
LegalCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Andrew Payzant
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCat View Post
I'm just curious: was the production where you heard "Steamboat" (which I know as "Steamboat Quickstep," but it's clearly the same tune) a production of the normal "Nutcracker," or was it the version by the Mark Morris Dance Group, "A Hard Nut"? I just saw that yesterday and I also noticed the use of Steamboat Quickstep, but I'm wondering if it's from the original Tchaikovsky score, or if it's something the Mark Morris guys threw in, which is just the sort of thing they'd do.
It was in a production of "The Nutcracker" I saw in Knoxville Tennessee about 11 years ago, so I am betting it is in the original score.

Andrew
Andrew Payzant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
dorothy
Holy smoking keyboard!

"Steamboat," nor any tune that sounds like it, is not in any score of Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker" ballet that I have ever played, and I have played it many times.

And BTW the Ride of the Valkyrie is probably best known as the theme from "Kill the Wabbit," a classic Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoon.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Armorican
Forum Silver Medal

There's something very similar to 'the steamboat' here that starts at about 8:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbG1dewd988

It's played as the dance "Piloté de Combourg"
Armorican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:01 AM   #10
Wyllough
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

This is the part in The Nutcracker where Steamboat appears: (from 1:35) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK_Utb0OMfk
I used to think Tchaikovsky came up with it first but, after learning that classical composers often borrowed from traditional music, it is likely the other way around. Also, The Nutcracker was written around 1892 whereas Steamboat/ Hills of Caithness apparently appears in a tune collection in 1869.
Wyllough is offline   Reply With Quote