Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
piper1843
Forum Member

Default Why did you fall in love with the bagpipes?

Curious to hear some peoples story, should bring a few laughs!

Mine:
I was playing snare in a pipe band and just fell in love. Ever since, ive been a piper!
piper1843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
bog-standard
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Why did you fall in love with the bagpipes?

I wanted to do something that would take years to accomplish even poorly,
Alienate me from my neighbours, cost tens of thousands of dollars, ruin my hearing and increase my overbite.
I wanted to frustrate myself to the point of tears on a monthly basis and be unable to go out in public with out twitching my fingers around every pencil, flagpole or tree branch at hand.
I wanted to have old Scotsman (even ones who don't play) point out every error they believe I've committed.
I wanted a reason to buy an expensive skirt that the dry cleaner refuses to press for less than a $30 up-charge.
I wanted to wait longingly for the postman, sometimes for weeks on end for the arrival of as little as $20 worth of cane and string.
It was either bagpipes or prison.....because clearly I'm not a balanced man.

bog-standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
SF Irish Piper
Forum Regular

Bagpipes have got to be the most annoying, non versatile instrument ever.... I just happen to be good at it... I didn't say I liked it.
http://www.ipbsf.org
SF Irish Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Brian Erbe
Holy smoking keyboard!

come on, accordion is much more annoying
Brian Erbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Bob Budesa
Forum Silver Medal

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Budesa

My mother was a Scot, and as such, had loads of Black Watch LP's, etc. When my brothers and I were little squids, she'd put an album on to keep us out of her hair, and we'd all march around the house like little drum majors.

It didn't take too many applications of that for the music to become deeply ingrained in our heads. I'm the only one that didn't seek medical help to be rid of it, and so......
Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
olypiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

For me, it started with the crossdressing first. The 'pipes came later. Going to all those Highland Games, it just sort of wore me down, until I had to do it.

Seriously, who isn't seduced by a well playing pipe band? I saw that and became determined to do it, too. The tightness of a good drum corps, an awesome attack that flattens the grass, and some well played tunes with great harmonies with a snappy ending. Fuhgedaboutit!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Chet
Forum Member

I first heard live bagpipes in 1976 in Port Alberni, Vancouver Island while taking a break from timber work up-island. There must have been some kind of festival. I was about four blocks from the parade route and suddenly heard/felt this thunderous drum roll followed by an amazing visceral sound. I ran to the parade to see what was really making this great sound. I'd heard pipes on recordings but never realized how loud and powerful they were in real life. For some reason I assumed that it was an instrument that you had to start learning by age 8 and never looked into it.

Eleven years later I was learning the clawhammer banjo (it's only appropriate that banjo, bagpipes and accordians get lumped together somehow) and my teacher kept saying, "This is an old bagpipe tune" for each new tune he taught me. Since I already played about a dozen instruments I figured, "It's only nine notes. How hard could it be?" I wanted to explore the source of this interesting banjo music but especially get back in touch with that amazing sound I'd first heard in Port Alberni.

Twenty five years later and I rarely touch the other instruments. It was the most difficult and rewarding nine notes I've ever played.

CHET
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
sooty piper
Forum Regular

I found that playing bagpipes was the best way to hang out with really cool drummers.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
larry_piper
Forum Silver Medal

I love my bagpipe. It doesn't love me, else it wouldn't hurt me so....
Old 03-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Like most things in life, about 2 seconds of thought went into it and so one day, having nothing better to do as puberty hadn't started yet, haha, I asked my dad how to play. That was that. After courting for several years, a hiatus, and a return to regular playing and, now having better control of the instrument, I love it enough that many of the other instruments I've also tried to pick up (uilleann pipes, flute, guitar, whistle) were just me being delusional enough to think I could learn another instrument and take time away from highland piping.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote