Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
bagpipebrewer
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default best reeds for gibson bagpipes

I am transitioning to the bagpipes right now and have been seeing different opinions on bagpipe drone reeds. The pipes i got are gibson 110s with wygent reeds but one of the tenor reeds is bad so thinking of trying some new reeds hopefully something pretty easy to tune with a good sound. just want to see what other people have tryed and like . Thanks
bagpipebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
JBGriffith
Forum Clasp

Default Re: best reeds for gibson bagpipes

I have a set of Gibson R-110A and are currently using Selbies in them, although they have also had Omegas, EZDrones and others. The Gibsons are easy to reed and work well with many different types of drone reeds. The MacDougal bores give a rich, bold drone sound.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don't like EeZee's in anything but thats just me. On second thought.. smallpipes, session pipes etc work well with Ezee's.. Those I like.

Selbies are much easier to manipulate, and can easily be adjusted on the mellow side. Part of this has to do with the tongue length. The tongue is longer than the Ezee tongues.. this means you can move the bridle further at one time, rather than the barely noticable 1/1000th of an inch at a time adjustment.

With MacDougall style Bores you are focusing on making them as mellow and quiet as possible, rather than the other way around..

I have Ross Omegas plugged into my Gibsons at the moment. It is easier to manipulate for a Band Strike in, and if one room or location or another doesn't like the settings, I give the body bending grub screw a wee 1/4 twist and fix it in short order.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
bagpipebrewer

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of trying the selbies although the omegas would be great but quite a price difference. I will probably try the selbies but should i acquire extra tongues, I have heard there is a problem with them splitiing. Thanks
bagpipebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
BigJ1632

I'm not an expert, but I have Gibson 110-F's and play Crozier Carbon reeds. I really like the sound, but to each their own. I hope you enjoy your pipes!
BigJ1632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Carbon & E-Glass tongues work brilliant in anything IMHO. It is with E-glass that i have taken best advantage of the rumoured MacDougall "Ringing" D harmonic. E or whichever note it is.

I haven't experienced Selbies with a tongue split. Although I am having problems from a fairly old set of tenors having tongue fatigue. I am currently retrofitting those with E-glass tongues.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
David Corbett
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to David Corbett Send a message via Yahoo to David Corbett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipebrewer View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of trying the selbies although the omegas would be great but quite a price difference. I will probably try the selbies but should i acquire extra tongues, I have heard there is a problem with them splitiing. Thanks
I've had a couple of Selbie's tongues go bad, so yeah I'd have an extra set on hand, cheaper than full 2nd set. That said.. I love Selbie reeds. Same reason as I love Gibson practice chanters, great bang for the buck, work resonably well in about anything, easy to work with, and in some pipes great sound to boot. I would consider them my -default- reeds for any pipes unless proven a bad fit. I currently have: Kintail, Hardie, Gellietry, McCallum (poly) & Dunbar (poly).
Old 06-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

There was a set of Selbies for sale in the Trading Post a few days ago:
http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...d.php?t=155747

I liked Selbies in my G&Ms, but not in wet weather. Replacement tongues are relatively cheap and easy to get.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
Hebridean Society Piper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipebrewer View Post
I am transitioning to the bagpipes right now and have been seeing different opinions on bagpipe drone reeds. The pipes i got are gibson 110s with wygent reeds but one of the tenor reeds is bad so thinking of trying some new reeds hopefully something pretty easy to tune with a good sound. just want to see what other people have tryed and like . Thanks
Then there's always cane for that truly canelike sound. Not as hard as you might think
Hebridean Society Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

My instructor has a set of 110s, and Cannings sound fantastic in them.

Last edited by moderator team; 09-25-2014 at 11:30 AM.
HighlandPark is offline   Reply With Quote