Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-02-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
Austin Diepenhorst
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via Yahoo to Austin Diepenhorst
Default Pelican cases

Hi,

I recently got the chance to have a look at one of those pelican cases. I've heard they are very good at protecting whatever is inside of them and can be jostled around quite a bit without anything becoming dammaged. I've also been told that they are used for storing and transporting scientific equipment. Which model would be most ideal for a pipe case, what is the website and how much do they usually go for? Seems quite durable and well insulated. This thing impressed me to no end.

Austin
Austin Diepenhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Pelican cases

I use the Pelican Storm im2500. Fantastic case, carry on sized too.

I bought mine here, but you might be able to find them cheaper if you hunt around. http://www.opticsplanet.com/storm-case-im2500.html

I've actually seen them used on eBay for about half the cost of new, though you would need to buy foam.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 09-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Austin check out this thread from a while back

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...hlight=pelican

I got a bit OCD about it, and researched the various cases out there.

As you see in the thread there are several different equivalent makes, all designed to fit the airline carryon size requirements.

Trouble with all of those is you have to break down your pipes, taking off all the drone tops. But the protection is fantastic- you could jump up and down on top of one of these cases, or throw one down a flight of concrete stairs, with no effect.

I got, cheap, a used Hardigg Storm iM2500 on Ebay. It's pretty much identical to the Pelican. I put in a Pelican multi-compartment zip storage thing which fits into the inside of the lid. It's The Case Of The Apocalypse.

Here's one going way less than full price on Ebay right now. I've never seen a blue one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-in-Box-B...item35dbf372a6

As detailed on the thread linked to above, the bigger cases with which the pipes don't have to be broken down won't meet the airline carryon requirements.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 09-08-2014 at 09:16 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #4
Wulls

Default Pelican cases

Pelican cases are damn nearly indestructible and can be climate sealed..
Fantastic pieces of kit but very expensive compared to a standard pipe case.
Or cheap compared to breaking a set of vintage pipes.......
Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
Hebridean Society Piper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Diepenhorst View Post
Hi,

I recently got the chance to have a look at one of those pelican cases. I've heard they are very good at protecting whatever is inside of them and can be jostled around quite a bit without anything becoming dammaged. I've also been told that they are used for storing and transporting scientific equipment. Which model would be most ideal for a pipe case, what is the website and how much do they usually go for? Seems quite durable and well insulated. This thing impressed me to no end.

Austin
May I suggest this low cost alternative: http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x...ase-69318.html. Put a humidier in there with some foam stock protector inserts. Save your money
Hebridean Society Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebridean Society Piper View Post
May I suggest this low cost alternative: http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x...ase-69318.html. Put a humidier in there with some foam stock protector inserts. Save your money
Sorry not the same level of protection, no telescoping handle, no wheels. Is it watertight, air-pressure tight?

I guess when I finally (after nearly 40 years piping) got 'the pipes of my dreams' I re-thought my ideas of protection.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulls View Post
Pelican cases are damn nearly indestructible and can be climate sealed..
Fantastic pieces of kit but very expensive compared to a standard pipe case.
The Pelican style cases are in price comparable to pipe-specific cases. Many pipers around here use the "Bagpiper Case" which are over $150

http://www.hendersongroupltd.com/car...&idcategory=75

My case, got used on Ebay, was under $80. Here's a new one for less than the Bagpiper Case (with foam)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PELICAN-1510...item3ce8187f66

and here's one, without foam (I did my own lining anyway) for rather less than the Bagpiper case

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelican-1510...item2a3b0a123b

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 09-13-2014 at 09:35 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #8
Austin Diepenhorst
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via Yahoo to Austin Diepenhorst

Okay, so the question is to get the 1510 or the 2500... And the cubed foam or foam deviders... Which ones have you guys used?

Austin
Austin Diepenhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Case / Ext / Int
Pelican 1510 / 22 x 13.8 x 9 / 19.75 x 11 x 7.6
Pelican iM2500 / 21.7 x 14.1 x 8.9 / 20.5 x 11.5 x 7.2
Nanuk 935 / 22 x 14 x 9 / 20.5 x 11.3 x 7.5

The above fit the FAA 22 x 14 x 9 maximum, save for the Pelican iM2500 being .1 inch over in width.

This case is just a tad big for the FAA sizes:

SKB 3i-2011-7 / 22.25 x 14.75 x 9.5 / 20.4 x 11.4 x 7.5

The following is big enough to leave the drone tops assembled but exceeds the FAA size:

Seahorse SE 920 / 24.5 x 16 x 10 / 22.1 x 13.5 x 8.5

I don't know why Pelican would make two cases which are so similar. I got the Hardigg Storm iM2500 which seems to be the Pelican iM2500 under a different name.

As for foam, I don't use the sort of foam that came with my case (the cubed foam that you're supposed to adapt to your particular needs). What I did was get a piece of thin but dense foam (from an old Yoga mat) and cut it to size to line the bottom. I wrap up the pieces of my pipes in old (but clean!) socks.

For gigs where I might need to pull out my pipes quickly ready to go, I use a soft case intended for bagpipes, where I only need to assemble one section.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #10
Hebridean Society Piper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Sorry not the same level of protection, no telescoping handle, no wheels. Is it watertight, air-pressure tight?

I guess when I finally (after nearly 40 years piping) got 'the pipes of my dreams' I re-thought my ideas of protection.
I admit I have not tried to float it or drop it off a cliff but it affords a reasonable level of protection and it is airtight enought for my humidifier to stay at 58 per cent. Besides my combat days are over. My focus has been more towards preserving a tropical hardwood from the extremes of the California climate. It has aluminum siding which reflects heat and a pretty sturdy frame.You have to break down the pipes with this case but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing since the next step is to swab out my drones after playing. Forrest Decker dispatched me to Home Depot years ago to get one of these and it works great. Well within FAA limits

Last edited by Hebridean Society Piper; 09-15-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Hebridean Society Piper is offline   Reply With Quote