Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Competition Results
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competition Results Post and discuss competition results here.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Georgian Piper
Forum Member

Default Ppbso agm

Any word on what decisions were made at the AGM in October? I know that Bob Worrell and Charlie MacDonald received life memberships (congradulations gentlemen, well deserved), but nothing else has come out.
Georgian Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Georgian Piper
Forum Member

Default Re: Ppbso agm

Nothing decided?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Andrew Lenz

PPBSO voted to merge with WUSPBA. Part of the agreement is that the PPBSO is bound to secrecy and cannot say anything about their AGM other than announcing the lifetime memberships.

Andrew

p.s. I completely made that up.

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
Andrew was required to say that because of the secrecy clause.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
Georgian Piper
Forum Member

Re: Ppbso agm
PPBSO voted to merge with WUSPBA. Part of the agreement is that the PPBSO is bound to secrecy and cannot say anything about their AGM other than announcing the lifetime memberships.

Andrew

LOL
Didn't believe the merge with WUSPBA, but I full believe the 'bound to secrecy' bit. Have you ever tried to get information from them? They will not publish the Minutes and make them available to the members that are unable to attend the AGM.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Georgian Piper
Forum Member

PPBSO should merge with WUSPBA. No secrecy here

https://wuspba.org/agm-index/
Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Richard Strayer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgian Piper View Post
PPBSO should merge with WUSPBA. No secrecy here
The only secrecy in WUSPBA are current competition results and aggregate standings.

Last edited by Richard Strayer; 11-17-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Richard Strayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Andrew Lenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Strayer View Post
The only secrecy in WUSPBA are current competition results and aggregate standings.
You must be talking solos. Band results are current up through 6 days ago.

Someday, results will enter the 21st Century and be more digital. As long as results have to be mailed, manually reviewed, manually entered, manually posted, it'll be slow. With bands, you are talking a minimal number of entrants and events. With solos, you are talking sometimes several hundred pages for just one venue. A lot of work.

At one point, you volunteered to help. Personally, I think WUSPBA should tap you to do more than just be historian.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
Richard Strayer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
You must be talking solos. Band results are current up through 6 days ago.

Someday, results will enter the 21st Century and be more digital. As long as results have to be mailed, manually reviewed, manually entered, manually posted, it'll be slow. With bands, you are talking a minimal number of entrants and events. With solos, you are talking sometimes several hundred pages for just one venue. A lot of work.

At one point, you volunteered to help. Personally, I think WUSPBA should tap you to do more than just be historian.

Andrew
I do recognize that there is a large amount of information that must be managed, that there are delays due to forms being transmitted by games organizers and that this is all volunteer work, etc., but it's still a bit frustrating that solo event results (and band results too - if they're up to date now then it's a fairly recent thing) appear to only be updated a few times a year and often lag months behind. Particularly when other associations that deal with the same conditions don't appear to have this problem.

But I understand that a new automated system will be debuted at the AGM this weekend. I hope that it works and will simplify things for all involved.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
tbrown747
Forum Clasp

I was thinking about this the last time this came up. It probably would not be all that difficult to built a smart-phone or tablet app that the monitors could use to input results as they come in, while they're sitting around bored to death in the registration tent. All of this stuff is presumably already in a database, just need to expose an API to that. The other side is to make sure entrants for each event are entered into the DB prior to the event actually taking place so it's easy for the monitors to simply select the rankings from the list of registered contestants.

If I were implementing it, I would submit the ranking information with a field indicating it hasn't been validated yet. Then it would be up to someone in the organization to check it against the official results, make any changes, and approve / apply it against the standings. This is something that in most cases should take 5 minutes. In the meantime, the unofficial results could still be made available on the website with something indicating they haven't been approved yet.

Well, maybe this would be easier for the EUSPBA than you guys. Our database is already relatively up to date and seems reasonably well designed.

Last edited by tbrown747; 11-19-2014 at 06:22 AM.
tbrown747 is offline   Reply With Quote