Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Aluminum ring on Chanter?

I still have a pc, made of rosewood or something like and with an aluminium sole, which I bought in a shop in England in 1956. It came with fingering instruction, and cost but a few shillings (Commonwealth trade preference no doubt).

It was 25 years before I signed up for lessons, and promptly bought a plastic Dunbar pc. I keep the old one to remind me of both the ignorance and the long lasting desires of youth.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #12
Toxpert
Forum Regular

My first PC was one of those inexpensive rosewood makes....it was all I could find prior to starting my first lessons. As bad as the quality was...I made that thing last for more than a year. It got me through learning scales, movements, my first tune (Brown Haired Maiden). The poor thing finally crumbled away.

No amount but of bore oil could block the amount of moisture that thing absorbed during practice times. Despite efforts to dry it out between sessions...it just rotted apart. The sole was the first piece to fall off, followed by the ferrule. The mouthpiece was held on by the mass of hemp.

Terrible quality...but I made it work.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
Lochie
Forum Regular

Mine too, still have it....tastes awful when you put it in your mouth. The mouth piece is the same wood as the body.
It's now 40 years old, and still alive.
It now has a place of honour in my band room, it's the chanter of shame. If you show up for practice, and forgot your chanter....its the loaner!
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote