Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-08-2019, 05:30 AM   #21
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: "B" Flat Set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piping Potential View Post
Has anyone tried the drone extenders that go on TOP of the drones rather than on the reed? They look weird but they seem like they'd be easier to use.

https://www.mgreeds.com/bagpipe-shop...40Hz-p41938326

I have had only one occasion to play which required pipes in A 440. I have an old no-name Indian chanter that pitches in a, and used extenders, internal and external to get my drones down to A. I experimenting, I tried an old set of the original Shepherd synthetic drone reeds with Crisler replacement tongues and achieved A 440 with only the end cap extensions.

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 01-08-2019 at 05:32 AM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #22
Winch
Forum Regular

I tried multiple ways to get my band pipes set up for Bb but was not successful. I ended up buying a McCallum Bb chanter and RJS Bb reeds. I also use drone extenders.
Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #23
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Not a lot...but I’d think drone bush extensions would reduce the drone volume a bit ...the i.d. of the implant would be 2mm or so smaller than the makers ‘bench design spec’ bush. .

Anyone out there actually measure the before- after dB ?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #24
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piping Potential View Post
Has anyone tried the drone extenders that go on TOP of the drones rather than on the reed?
Yes indeed! Many years ago my Pipe Major and I had to play Anchors Aweigh for a US Navy event.

As it happens that tune fits perfectly on the Highland pipe scale- but in the key of G. The tune sounds perfectly normal with the drones shut off, but when you have drones playing A with a tune in G it sounds odd.

So we brought our drones down to G by sticking pieces of clear vinyl tubing in the ends of our drones. Strange looking as you say, but it sounded good.

The best thing about the tubing was that we played Anchors Aweigh first, then pulled out the tubes for the rest of our gig. We had the tubing set so that our drones were all tuned to their normal spots. (You can move the tubing up and down to fine-tune the drones.)

Later I found that a much more effective (and better-looking!) way to bring down the pitch of a drone was to put a brass tube in the drone bottom section, sticking up into the tone chamber, hemp wrapped around the tube (no metal-to-wood contact).

Once again you can fine-tune the drone by moving the tube up and down.

I found I could easily bring a drone all the way down from A to G with the drone remaining good-sounding and stable.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #25
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch View Post
I tried multiple ways to get my band pipes set up for Bb but was not successful.
Yes with my band pipes too I'd be fighting the instrument to force the drones down to 466. Those old Lawries just love playing 480+ with the drones way up on the hemp!

And trying to get a 480+ chanter to play in 466, so far from where the reed is happy... why?

Which I why I have separate 466 and 480 sets.

BTW there were two St Patrick's Days in a row where I had to play all day in various restaurants.

One year I used my 480+ band pipes. Numerous times people complained about the volume, go play outside, etc.

The next year I used my 466 pipes and everyone loved the pipes wherever I played. It was a lesson learned.

The other advantage to using 466 pipes at gigs as a general rule is that you never know when you might be put in the position of playing with other musicians. Thing is, so many events have bands up on stages playing and a piper wandering around. I've played with jazz bands and Irish folk bands and rock bands and always been right in tune.

Ditto church gigs. Maybe when they hired me they weren't thinking of having me play with the pipe organ, but heck, why not?
Old 01-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #26
Robin Beck
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have three pipe chanters.
A 73 Hardie pitching nicely to B flat with no tape. The best pipe chanter ever made.
A 84 Gillanders pitching nicely to B flat with no tape.
And a A 80s Nail pitching nicely to B flat with no tape.

B flat is not a problem!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #27
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: "B" Flat Set up.....Chanters..

Anyone care to opine a comparison between a modern Shepherd Bb and e.g. Mccallum Bb chanter. Others? Abw or poly?
I believe Shepherd and G1 make Bb specific reeds. any other makers?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote