Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Dojo university?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
I have noticed that many who learn pipes late in life struggle with implementing our prescribed embellishments correctly. I would much rather hear a learner play simpler embellishments correctly than more technical embellishments poorly. Again, they are embellishments, they should add to the music, not detract.

I agree with this, but I think the problem isn't the embellishment, or the learner, it's the teaching of the embellishment. There is a huge amount of subtlety in what good players do that most of them aren't aware of, and consequently aren't teaching to students.

And the difference between adult learners and children, by and large, is that children do what you do, adults do what you tell them.

The other thing about learners is that they are often put onto difficult tunes far too quickly. You should have at least a couple of dozen simple two part marches under the belt before tackling anything heavier.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #12
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post

The other thing about learners is that they are often put onto difficult tunes far too quickly. You should have at least a couple of dozen simple two part marches under the belt before tackling anything heavier.
Oh how I agree with this!

And to his credit, Andrew Douglas (Dojo) places huge emphasis on clean fingerwork above everything else.... SO many are so anxious to get onto tunes they neglect this vital step, and once they start on tunes with sloppy fingerwork (which Andrew refers to as crossing noises in several forms, poor gracenote and other embellishment technique) then it simply reinforces sloppy playing which in many cases never gets any better.

Itís the best way I know to put a very low ceiling onto the best likely outcome, and why so many street players really shouldnít.

If you donít nail the basics above all else then youíre really wasting your time.
That might arguably be good for some rogue Ďteachersí who simply want to milk you for fees, but wonít get you to any sort of standard and along the way continues the discredit of the instrument.

Iím by no means suggesting you should be G1 before venturing out in public, but imho there is far too much really poor playing heard and thatís doing nobody any good.
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
Whatís not said is most bagpipe instructors are incompetent and more interested in having students return than telling them the truth
Never a truer word spoken. A quick search yoochoob is all you need to find a gaggle of so called 'Bagpipe Masters'. Makes me properly annoyed.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
EHamitlon
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I want to thank everyone for their advice and recommendations.

When I say I'm a beginner, I mean it. I'm really starting from zero here. It's just something I've always wanted to try to learn. At my age, I have no delusions of becoming an award winning piper, but I'd like try to become a competent one. I just want somewhere to start.

Thanks again for taking the time to thoughtfully respond to my question on Dojo university. I think I may give it a go. Just to if this old dog can learn a new trick.
EHamitlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #15
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Given your USA location (eliminates the cross-Atlantic language hurdle, which is often trivial but sometimes not), along with your self-declared beginner status....

If you really canít access a live tutor, then Iíd strongly recommend Dojo.

Their basic tutor is very well structured and should get you off to a decent start. My personal view is that once you get 2 or 3 of their Ďbeltsí just be aware that there are differing views of their more detailed assertions.... not saying theyíre wrong, but somewhat different in emphasis.

You certainly wonít go wrong for a year or so, by which time you should have a solid foundation.

Good luck on your journey
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #16
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
If you really canít access a live tutor, then Iíd strongly recommend Dojo.

This is the key, in my opinion. If I had to choose between someone self-teaching and someone doing the Dojo U stuff, Dojo U wins hand down. I do think, though, that there is absolutely no replacement for an experienced instructor giving one on one feedback.

Jack
Old 04-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #17
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

I agree with Jack. Through the wonders of skype you can still connect with a quality teacher. Physical in the room 121 is best but a close second would be skype lessons with a quality tutor. Neil Clark (i don't have any experience of him other than watching his excellent youtube videos) comes highly recommended. There are others I'm sure maybe some on you're side of the pond to help with time difference?

Stick to recommendations, and veer clear of anyone online that claims to be a 'bagpipe master' as they are invariable as far from that as can be imagined.

Starting out I'd also recommend a tutor(even by skype) as the fundamentals, what you learn now (scale / embellishments) and how you learn them, are the foundations of good piping. Learn it correctly now and save hours of pain later.

I'm sure Dojo is a good resource though, but maybe more relevant the further on you get?

GL
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #18
EHamitlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
I agree with Jack. Through the wonders of skype you can still connect with a quality teacher. Physical in the room 121 is best but a close second would be skype lessons with a quality tutor. Neil Clark (i don't have any experience of him other than watching his excellent youtube videos) comes highly recommended. There are others I'm sure maybe some on you're side of the pond to help with time difference?

Stick to recommendations, and veer clear of anyone online that claims to be a 'bagpipe master' as they are invariable as far from that as can be imagined.

Starting out I'd also recommend a tutor(even by skype) as the fundamentals, what you learn now (scale / embellishments) and how you learn them, are the foundations of good piping. Learn it correctly now and save hours of pain later.

I'm sure Dojo is a good resource though, but maybe more relevant the further on you get?

GL
I'm going to look into that. I just ordered my first practice chanter today, so we'll see how this goes.

I really appreciate all the advice, you've all given me quite a lot to consider, thank you again.
EHamitlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #19
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
The beat falls in various places depending on the embellishment, it does not universally fall at the beginning of every one of them, because they are all different and are used to different musical effect.
I think of grips, tars, and throws as the 'anacrusis' of the embellishment world.. They usually come earlier than the beat, just like a pick-up notes in the melody..

EHamilton: there are some great instructors in GA! You have lots of opportunity there

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #20
uther

I used Dojo for a while, and it did help in the very beginning, but nothing beats a live teacher IMO. I've been lucky enough to spend a few hours 1-2-1 with Neil Clark, but as I live too far away to do that regularly skype is the way to go.
You need someone to tell you when you are doing it wrong.
uther is offline   Reply With Quote