Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #21
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: How many sets do you 'run' at a time?

[QUOTE=PNB;1341287

Should I start now or wait till next March or so when people are getting ready for summer?
[/QUOTE]

....better sooner than later if you really want to pare down your hoard; ..never put off til tomorrow..
Christmas is coming....people will invent any excuse to snag a good buy.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #22
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNB View Post
"I'd say everyone is different, though I would be shocked if anyone felt that 4-5 sets of pipes wasn't at least a bit superfluous."

Guess I have to agree and will spend the next couple of weeks posting some sets that I need to "release back in the wild". I have run across some good deals over the years and just couldnt resist buying them.

Will thin down to probably two sets of GHB. Should I start now or wait till next March or so when people are getting ready for summer?
Just don't let anyone else's opinion(s) bully you away from what you feel works for YOU. =)

Just my 2.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #23
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

I met a guy who had a couple hundred High D whistles. He had multiple examples from every maker I've ever heard of, and several I hadn't. Why? You only need one! I would sell off the others and use the money for something useful, like a car payment.

I know a guy who has over a hundred kilts. Why on earth?
Who peed in your porridge? Maybe his car is paid off. Maybe lots of kilts and whistles make these guys happy. Maybe their happiness is useful to them.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #24
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Two sets of GHB for me:
1. 1979 G&M BP2 with original McLeod Chanterw. spare Gillanders chanter which can be reeded to play at 466 HZ and a no-name Indian Chanter that plkays in A with drone reeds to work with it. ( Have played only one gig with that set up so far)

2. Ayrshire Bagpipe Company Poly drones and stocks with an RG Hardie chanter and a spare older Gillanders chanter as well.- my back-up and foul weatrher set.
I keep these two in rotation, practining each on alternate nights- for example- The G&Ms for an Amistice Day Dinner last night, the ABC Polyset for a wedding outdoors this afternoon when the temperature will be mid-thirties;

plus One set of Jon Swane Lowland pipes and an Iain Kinnear A ssp with an extra D chanter by Chris Pinchbeck,
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #25
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisahag View Post
I can just about understand having one really good main set for comps / most gigs, plus a second set for bad weather gigs/gigs when significant quantities of drink may be taken/emergency backup. But unless your main set has ivory on it and you travel to events in other countries I personally struggle to see the case for having three (or more) sets.
Yup, that's how it works for me. I don't want to own more sets than I have time to play. I'd also prefer not to switch between instruments any more often than I need to. I really, really like my #1 set, and I'd play it for everything if it was practical to do so. Because of the reality that it's both quite old and has ivory on it, I have to make adjustments for travel (which I do) and bad weather gigs (which I do).
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote