Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #21
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Glenfiddich pipes and chanter makes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp birl View Post
What Naill chanter pitches to 480? Any idea what reed to use?

I have an older (circa 2003ish) Naill chanter and I love the feel of it but I can't get past 474 or so regardless of the brand of reed.

Jenni
MacPhee reeds usually are sharper in the Naill, but you'll likely have to try a few and select the sharper reeds, blow them in and see where they pitch after a few weeks. I had to carve Low G, Low A, B and C on my old Naill and it pitched right around 478-480. Beautiful sound!
piper_hm is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-08-2019, 12:05 AM   #22
OHCalman
Forum Member

Quote:

I have an older (circa 2003ish) Naill chanter and I love the feel of it but I can't get past 474 or so regardless of the brand of reed.
I’m sure this will open a can of worms, but there’s nothing wrong with the chanter pitching around 474. Some (myself included!) actually prefer the slightly lower pitch.
If you’re not playing in a band I wouldn’t worry.
OHCalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #23
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
MacPhee reeds usually are sharper in the Naill, but you'll likely have to try a few and select the sharper reeds, blow them in and see where they pitch after a few weeks. I had to carve Low G, Low A, B and C on my old Naill and it pitched right around 478-480. Beautiful sound!
Carving the old Naills is an accepted practice indeed...nothing sweeter when done properly and using an old and well broken in MacAllister reed...not sure if trying to get it to play much higher than 476 is a good thing though...the lovely harmonics may diminish.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #24
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
I have good success with a G 1 platinum reed in my silver soled ‘03 Naill. Gorgeous.
Even better after I slightly twist cracked it and had it expertly repaired.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #25
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
I have good success with a G 1 platinum reed in my silver soled ‘03 Naill. Gorgeous.
Even better after I slightly twist cracked it and had it expertly repaired.
I agree, they're probably the most consistent out of the box reeds I've found. Are they loud? Yup. Are they strong? Yup. But after a bit of shaving, they are so bright and stable. Now where are my earplugs...
Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #26
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:

Jenni
What's the fascination with hitting 480hz? Genuine question

Ooooft el gaitero I bet you felt every bit of that crack I'd have been sick!! Amazing it's better now do you offer a professional snapping service
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #27
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post

Ooooft el gaitero I bet you felt every bit of that crack I'd have been sick!! Amazing it's better now do you offer a professional snapping service
I'm not sure, but no one pitched below 480 at the Glenfiddich. The pitch increase is apparent and it's the new norm, at least at the higher levels. I'm not a big fan of 485+, but I wouldn't want to be the guy who walks up on the stage playing at 470...
Old 11-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #28
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post

I’ve never broken a chanter in my 5 decades at pipes. When I cracked this one it made a barely audible crinkling sound.... like light cellophane being gently rumpled.... it was quizzical ,...but insofar as I was stupidly twisting the chanter ..I quickly deduced its origin. It didn’t break in two so i tightly wrapped some tuning taped between several holes and continued to pipe the wedding reception until complete about 2 hours later.
It still sounded phenom with the tape repair, and possibly better in the filament of my exaggeration after being expertly and invisibly repaired by ,literally, a penultimate piper of EUSPBA.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #29
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks for all the helpful comments. For the record, I am not a fan of the higher 480+ pitch at all but I cannot find a reed that works well in my older Naill chanter.....the high G is way wonky and I can't get remotely close to a true scale. Therefore I asked about how to get the pitch up....and what modern reed works best.....

Sounds like I need 'professional' modifications done on the chanter I have if I ever want to play it.

Jenni
Old 11-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #30
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful comments. For the record, I am not a fan of the higher 480+ pitch at all but I cannot find a reed that works well in my older Naill chanter.....the high G is way wonky and I can't get remotely close to a true scale. Therefore I asked about how to get the pitch up....and what modern reed works best.....

Sounds like I need 'professional' modifications done on the chanter I have if I ever want to play it.

Jenni
Might be the throat of the chanter that is wonky if you can't get a proper scale. Drying and warping over time may have caused it. Is Teddy Krogh up your way? Perhaps he could look at it.