Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Webmaster & Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webmaster & Software Piping site related, piping music related

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Default Ideas for Helpful Piping Apps/Digital Tools?

Hi all,

I'm a novice/hobbyist computer programmer working in Python and looking to get some C#/Xandarin under my belt in the near future for some mobile apps and game stuff.

I've brainstormed a few ideas, but I thought the good people of this forum might have some ideas for tools that could be helpful for pipers and/or drummers. Some initial ideas include:
  • Chanter Tape Diagrams: Given the layout of a chanter, the user can use mouse clicks to draw lines indicating how much tape is on each chanter hole. The image could then be saved locally for use when a piper needs to remove gunky tape and put on some fresh tape!
  • Embellishment Dictionary: An easy to reference mobile app that allows the user to browse different piping embellishments.
  • Pipe Band Map: Because it never hurts to know where the nearest pipe band is? Could be helpful for folks (like myself) that may be relocating in the near future.
Unfortunately deployment on Apple devices is out of the question at the moment, as I think it's ludicrous that Apple charges $99/year for the Apple Developer Program.

These projects would be implemented primarily for my own learning, but I'd be absolutely delighted if even one person found some value in them. They would of course be free and open-source. If any other folks around here have a knack for code and are interested, I'd love to chat as well!

Best,
Joe

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #2
OHCalman
Forum Member

Default Re: Ideas for Helpful Piping Apps/Digital Tools?

Hi Joseph,

Iíve got experience with Python and C# + .NET. Let me know if you need any guidance!
I think the tape idea may be redundant, as when you put fresh tape on you can simply put tape under your existing tape as a guide, remove the old tape and put some new tape above the guide.
The pipe band map and embellishment guide are interesting - I think the embellishment app in particular could be adapted for learning as well. Thereís a couple of apps on the Apple App Store that do a similar thing right now.

Some other ideas:
Practice tracker - track what tunes youíve played and how many days in a row youíve practiced. When adding tunes you could specify the time signature and idiom so you can keep track of how many strathspeys, jigs etc. that you know.

Pitch tracker - listens to you play and tracks the pitch of every low A you play, that way you can see how your pitch rises over time in different conditions.

Mobile BWW writer - write BWW/BMW/ABC notation on your mobile. Could be a graphical app or just regular BWW/ABC code with a viewer.
OHCalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:54 AM   #3
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCalman View Post
I think the tape idea may be redundant, as when you put fresh tape on you can simply put tape under your existing tape as a guide, remove the old tape and put some new tape above the guide.
Admittedly, the tape idea wouldn't be the most earth shattering, but something I may toy around with just to explore some functionalities of creating a GUI in Python and working with events. Speaking of GUI's, which Python GUI library would you reccomend? Still beats a stuffy textbook exercise, imo The tape idea also came from the thought that pipers would likely clean the tape gunk off of their chanter from time to time.

Quote:
The pipe band map and embellishment guide are interesting - I think the embellishment app in particular could be adapted for learning as well. Thereís a couple of apps on the Apple App Store that do a similar thing right now.
Indeed! And I definitely see what you mean about learning element as well. My teacher had mentioned that the map idea had been done at one point (I distinctly remember reading about it here on the forums while doing a search one day), although he wasn't sure if that was still an active project.

Quote:
Some other ideas:
Practice tracker - track what tunes youíve played and how many days in a row youíve practiced. When adding tunes you could specify the time signature and idiom so you can keep track of how many strathspeys, jigs etc. that you know.

Pitch tracker - listens to you play and tracks the pitch of every low A you play, that way you can see how your pitch rises over time in different conditions.

Mobile BWW writer - write BWW/BMW/ABC notation on your mobile. Could be a graphical app or just regular BWW/ABC code with a viewer.
All of which are excellent ideas. Thank you for the suggestions! I appreciate that they're some interesting riffs on the more typical introductory projects, such as making a notepad or to-do tracker. The pitch tracker idea is pretty cool, and seems pretty straightforward given a bit of reading up on audio libraries. And thank you for the kind offer! I may reach out along the way if I hit a stumbling block or to seek feedback on a prototype. Things are very hectic on my end as I'm wrapping up grad school while job searching, so no telling on when I'll properly be able to get around to these things!

Thanks again,
Joe

Old 02-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

A community-editable map would be an excellent project.

An app to track practice and repertoire would be a useful thing, and not just for pipers.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #5
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

I have been thinking about the map project, and I think I'll dive into that in the very near future. Stay tuned for more details.