Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
mmatisoff
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Chanter brush

I embarrassed to be asking this. I just received a chanter brush for drying after playing. The brush, however, does not pass through the chanter. The hole is so small, only a pipe cleaner would fit through. Is the brush intended to be pushed to the chanter (as I use a swab on the clarinet)?
mmatisoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Chanter brush

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatisoff View Post
I embarrassed to be asking this. I just received a chanter brush for drying after playing. The brush, however, does not pass through the chanter. The hole is so small, only a pipe cleaner would fit through. Is the brush intended to be pushed to the chanter (as I use a swab on the clarinet)?
We are talking about a wood practice chanter,..yes?

A piper cleaner is fine. After a practice session...take the two halves apart carefully and stand them up in a e.g. tin can, vase, guinnes pint glsss etc in your practice space....just to keep them vertical for excess moisture to go with the ( gravity) flow until, next session. Put a paper towel in the vessel if you wish.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
mmatisoff
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

It a Dunbar poly chanter.
mmatisoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

From your description it is not for the mouth piece, nor the chanter but it goes up the top part where the reed is exposed the moisture to swab that out.

A pipe cleaner would be for the mouth piece. And usually nothing is needed for the lower part of the chanter except for a rag to wipe the tenon off.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

There are narrow brushes made for Pipe chanters. If that's what we're talking about here, then they're not made for swabbing out the reel seat of the chanter. 'There are also chanter "mops" or swabs, that rather resmble thick pipe cleaners that would be better for removing moisture. Do you have a picture?
Old 10-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Given that the OP states it's a Dunbar poly Chanter, that gives us a bit more to go on.

Here's a chanter brush, for example https://www.g1reeds.com/product/chanter-cleaning-brush/.

and here's a set of three for Chanter and drones:https://www.thepipershut.com/Bagpipe...e-bristle-.htm.
The purpose of these brushes is to clean out the interior bores of the chanter (and drones for the 3-piece set) of dust and other detritus, not to remove moisture.

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 10-07-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Nothing Bob did.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

$11.82 ?....must be HK$..
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:16 AM   #8
Adam Sanderson

According to the OP's profile, it's a practice chanter, not a pipe chanter that's being discussed. He's only had it a few days.

Anything can be used to clean a poly practice chanter, most use screwed up paper towels for the top and pipe cleaners can be used for the mouthpiece if you are very careful. They can also quite happily take a wash with soap and water.

Thing is, poly practice chanters don't need much cleaning, the main priority at this stage will be to to just take it apart after sessions to let the moisture out and the reed dry. This will also prevent the hemp from swelling and jamming the top on.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:04 AM   #9
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Definitely take apart top and bottom sections as the hemp will swell if it gets wets and this will make it difficult to take the sections apart.

I have a blackwood PC and store it with the sections apart. I simply pull it apart when finished with practice and stick it in a drawer in my sitting room so I can grab it when convenient.

The poly PCs are super tough.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #10
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sanderson View Post
According to the OP's profile, it's a practice chanter, not a pipe chanter that's being discussed. He's only had it a few days.

SNIP
Thanks for spotting that, Adam. I had interpreted "chanter' to mean chanter. Lesson for me: check profiles before offering advice.