Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Mr.met86
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Bag size manipulation

I know this has been discussed in the past, and I'm am sorry to revisit, but I am looking for information on "adjusting" the bag size by utilizing a pair of old denim jeans. Drawings, pictures, directions would be appreciated.
Mr.met86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: Bag size manipulation

It's just a corset, more or less. You can use a stapler to staple the fabric initially until you find a good size, then sew it for more permanence. (Staples are easier to remove than stitches when you are adjusting for the correct size.)

Place it just behind the drone stocks. The width should be in the realm of 6" to 8" but adjust that to what you find is appropriate for your comfort.

It's always best to have a bag that's the correct size, but adding the corset can sometimes get you by for a lot less money . . . or can provide a launching pad in determining what size bag to buy.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 AM   #3
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
....You can use a stapler to staple the fabric initially until you find a good size, then sew it for more permanence....
Or safety pins - even easier to adjust and remove.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
Andrew Lenz

I like safety pins, good idea.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
Mr.met86
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Wow!!! What a difference, I used safety pins initially to get the size "right" then sewed it up. I have a WMC which when fully inflated and everything corked off was a bit over 23" in circumference, I slid the denim leg over the bag and reduced the circumference to 19.5", which so far feels great, although I may open it up a bit. The next question is will this "corset" have any ill effects on the bag itself?

Thanks for the tips....so far....
Mr.met86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
Andrew Lenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.met86 View Post
The next question is will this "corset" have any ill effects on the bag itself?
It depends on age and health. I hear that if they are too tight it can lead to a hospital visit due to constriction of internal organs. If she nags you a lot, then maybe it's not too bad of an idea . . .

Seriously, though, unless there some wear or stress I can't imagine, it should be fine.

Andrew

Old 01-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #7
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Just to add to what Andrew said....

Not good to call her a bag, at least not within earshot
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote