Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default BalanceTone B flat drone reeds

I played my first gig using BalanceTone B flat drone reeds and an older R.G.Hardie chanter with Sheperd B flat chanter reed Saturday I like that the Balance tone reeds seem to work at any pressure- not problem striking in, but...

This was the second out-door gig of the day for me, and it was cold ( around 30˚F with a light breeze) so after a while I had a struggle keeping the drones in tune. As in the past, I took the reeds out after a bit and blew the water out and kept playing, but unlike previous similar situations, the tuning kept chasing about. It wasn't until I got home after the gig that I found the cause. The pins which adjust the volume by partially closing of the aperture are hollow and were filling up with water (condensation), which stayed put even after blowing through the reed from the reed seat end and swabbing the bodies out with Q-tips. I found that when I took my pipes apart to swab them out later that evening.
Live and learn.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: BalanceTone B flat drone reeds

Hmmmm..If you seal off the open end of the hollow pin with dental wax...It will raise the reed pitch to maybe exceed the length it could be pulled out to compensate / flatten... and still work as an apperature 'gate'.....;.But,....Have you tried this?

Last edited by el gaitero; 03-20-2017 at 05:30 PM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:58 AM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: BalanceTone B flat drone reeds

I thought of that, too. I might just give that a try. There's still plenty of adjustment room on those reeds.