Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Game of Thrones 4-part arrangement on the highland pipes!

In honor of tonight's big premier of the last season of Game of Thrones, I wanted to share my 4-part highland bagpipe arrangemnt of the theme song!

https://youtu.be/OM_aqcbIs0c

And no, I can't share the sheet music. I reversed engineer this the old fashioned way by listening to it over, and over and over... And I don't have the rights to share it!

#winterishere #gameofthrones
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: Game of Thrones 4-part arrangement on the highland pipes!

Well done.

Correct me if Iím wrong, but isnít it legal to share the music as long as you are not doing so for profit? And of course give credit where credit is due?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Cool, but I need to point out that what you recorded is not the GOT theme as it's heard on the show.

The GOT theme modulates from minor to Major thus:

E LA Cnat D
E LA Cnat D
E LA Cnat D
E LA Cnat D
E LA C# D
E LA C# D

etc

IMHO this modulation is a crucial, iconic, and indispensable element of the theme.

In B minor (the key you chose) you'd have to be able to play D#'s (which hearkens to the "which notes would you like to have added" thread).

And choosing the key of B minor means that you lose the high note that happens later (unless you can play High B).
Old 04-15-2019, 03:10 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Well done.

Correct me if Iím wrong, but isnít it legal to share the music as long as you are not doing so for profit? And of course give credit where credit is due?

No. To summarise very, very briefly:

You cannot share sheetmusic, in any form, whatever the source, unless you have permission from the copyright holder, OR if there is no copyright in it at all.

You CAN perform music that has been published or performed previously without permission, but the correct fees must be paid to the performing rights agencies.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 AM   #5
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Cool, but I need to point out that what you recorded is not the GOT theme as it's heard on the show [...]

IMHO this modulation is a crucial, iconic, and indispensable element of the theme.

In B minor (the key you chose) you'd have to be able to play D#'s (which hearkens to the "which notes would you like to have added" thread).

And choosing the key of B minor means that you lose the high note that happens later (unless you can play High B).
Isn't that a bit pedantic? We can't play Scotland the Brave correctly, as the melody goes:

E A A B C A C E a c b a E C A... And the melody without going above high A limits the scope of the real vocal or or...

The Rowan Tree's line 3, where the real melody goes:

E E a a g# g# F F a E... Without the bittersweet sharpened 7th, you lose the qualities that make this tune so lovely or...

Larger point: we as pipers play TONS of melodies and accept the limitations of our instrument to make it fit the range of our instruments. Sometimes it works well enough (as in my two examples and I'd argue my arrangement of GoT) and other times it doesn't, at least not without lots of help like say, the Star-Spangled Banner (which I attempted to tackle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uut8Oknojxw) and without harmony doesn't work at all, but with harmony is close enough for most audiences.

Last edited by Matt Willis Bagpiper; 04-15-2019 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Spelling, grammar, stuff
Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post

but the correct fees must be paid to the performing rights agencies.
r

Always wondered about this ....before or after the performance?

What if the performer Ďforgetsí....either way?

Those agency guys must be pretty busy....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
r

Always wondered about this ....before or after the performance?

It varies, but most often it is the venue's responsibility, and they should be getting a list from you of what you played and taking care of the paperwork (and the fees!)

It's a complex subject though, and I don't pretend to understand it in any detail.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post

It's a complex subject though, and I don't pretend to understand it in any detail.
Shakespeare had the right idea in Henry VI.

I wonder what results a BDF survey might show of how many Pipers actually think about this Ďobligationí while jamming at a pub or busking...and follow through in any regard.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

In this case (performing copyrighted music on YouTube), the copyright owner can do one of the following:

1. Monetize the video and keep all the money
2. Monetize the video and share the money with the performer/YouTuber
3. Allow the performer to keep all the money
4. Have the video removed
5. Do nothing

I have not monetized my channel at this point, and they have not yet chosen to monetize it for themselves, so they're in the #5. Do Nothing category right now.

My best guess is that the attention thing like these YouTube videos of their copyrighted material drives people to watch the program (and therefor purchase HBO), so there's a blind eye turned to much of this. But they can do what they want, basically.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Willis Bagpiper View Post
Isn't that a bit pedantic? We can't play Scotland the Brave correctly, as the melody goes:

E A A B C A C E a c b a E C A... And the melody without going above high A limits the scope of the real vocal or or...
The pipe tune came 50 years before the vocal was written. As far as anything is "correct" it's the pipe tune.