Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
MacTallanambeann
Forum Regular

Default Identifying a set of pipes - Pakistani or not?

Hi all,

Due to two dislocated AC joints in my shoulders and other personal issues some years ago I haven't played my pipes in quite a while but now I am trying to get back into it.

The pipes I currently own were bought second hand via fleabay about seven years ago and were at least a few years old then. All I know is that they are combed blackwood with cream coloured plastic projecting mounts, silver coloured slides, beaded ferrules and ring caps. Not sure what the metal parts are made of but I don't think they are nickel as I am allergic to that metal and I have usually gotten an itchy spot on the side of my neck if I play pipes with nickel mounts for any length of time. Although both tenor drones are identical on the outside the bores of the lower halves are visibly different diameters. The last thing I can say about them is that the stocks are quite slim which meant they took a bot of jiggery pokery to fit into the grommets of a canmore zipper bag.

Do these features sound like they could be a Scottish made set or do they mark these pipes out as being of Pakistani origin? Do the different tenor drone bore sizes serve a purpose or is this just an oddity? Despite having played the pipes for more than thirty years now I have to be honest and admit that I know very little of the ins and outs of bores etc.

I have the cash in hand that I could force into service in buying a new set of pipes from the bottom of the Hardie, Henderson etc. ranges but, as I will only be playing for my own amusement at home, I am wondering whether I will be just as well keeping what I have rather than splashing out.

Last edited by MacTallanambeann; 05-31-2019 at 10:35 AM.
MacTallanambeann is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-31-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: Identifying a set of pipes - Pakistani or not?

The truly definitive tests are as follows:

How much did you pay?

And what does the inside of the stock feel like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

As for the stock sizes, mine are different too... and definitely not Pakistani... some makes do that because of science and taste.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
MacTallanambeann
Forum Regular

In regard of how much I paid, well that was ridiculously cheap even for a set of Blackwood pipes that were known to come from Pakistan. I think I grabbed them for less than £200 for them tied into an small Bannatyne synthetic bag with a poly War-Mac chanter (with imit ivory sole) although there was no blow pipe. The lady I bought them from said they were a spare set from her band down in England that had been kicking about unused and unloved for some time. I would guess going on 'gut feeling' that they are at least twenty years old.

As to the bores, they are nice and smooth and you can tell these pipes have seen a fair bit of play in their life but they don't appear to have been poorly finished when they were made. The pipes do show their age in 'nibbles' in the combing and imit ivory projecting mounts and wear to their varnish. One thing I do note, and I don't know if it's significant, is that the ringcaps are all one piece of metal.

Last edited by MacTallanambeann; 05-31-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Any photos possible?

Old 05-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
MacTallanambeann
Forum Regular

Sure thing, I will take some and post them up.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTallanambeann View Post
In regard of how much I paid, well that was ridiculously cheap even for a set of Blackwood pipes that were known to come from Pakistan. I think I grabbed them for less than £200 for them tied into an small Bannatyne synthetic bag with a poly War-Mac chanter (with imit ivory sole) although there was no blow pipe. The lady I bought them from said they were a spare set from her band down in England that had been kicking about unused and unloved for some time. I would guess going on 'gut feeling' that they are at least twenty years old.

As to the bores, they are nice and smooth and you can tell these pipes have seen a fair bit of play in their life but they don't appear to have been poorly finished when they were made. The pipes do show their age in 'nibbles' in the combing and imit ivory projecting mounts and wear to their varnish. One thing I do note, and I don't know if it's significant, is that the ringcaps are all one piece of metal.

Then those arenít Pakistani pipes

Old 05-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
MacTallanambeann
Forum Regular

OK here are a few pics, not the best but hopefully they help

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150491...posted-public/

The blowpipe isn't original and the chanter is an old blackwood RG Hardie but all the stocks are original.

While taking the photos I have to admit that I looked down all the bores and they are all nice and smooth and shiny inside.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

And youíve checked under the drone cords?

Old 05-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
MacTallanambeann
Forum Regular

No signs of any makers name anywhere at all on the pipes that I can find unfortunately.