Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-24-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Four note runs in strathspeys

I've been going through the Ceol Sean c.d. rom Glenn Collections again. In a lot of the strathspeys, I run across a four note run where a triplet would usually be written in more modern collections(Scots Guards, Gordon etc.).
I just can't seem to get the idea of how they should be expressed. I seems to warp my conception of how a strathspey goes rhythmically. Any ideas or histories for the reason for the modern version?
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-24-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Four note runs in strathspeys

Four sixteenth notes? This isn't uncommon for fiddlers. They're played even (or round) by folks I play with in sessions.

You may think of it this way. Most of us play eighth note triplets as two sixteenth notes and an eight note. The run basically splits that last eighth note into two even sixteenth notes.

I find these runs fun to play.

Best, John
Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
Ross Anderson
Forum Regular

It's often said that the ealiest strathspeys are the 'new strathspey reells' in Oswald Book 3 (1746), which have triplets where a quaver is followed by two semiquavers. Many other dance tunes in that collection contain four-note runs and soon we find the slow, pointed "strathspey reell' played with them.

The tune books from the second half of the eighteenth century have a lot of strathspeys. They suddenly became fashionable after the 1745 - I suspect because the dancers slowed down and kicked high, thereby exposing some leg to the other sex. Think of the strathspey as the teenage rebellion, the rock and roll, of the Enlightenment.

The four-note run continued for some decades. For example, the Advocates' manuscript on 1765 has a whole lot of "reell" dances with them, and in 1785, the Sutherland manuscript has The Haughs of Cromdale in this style (see www.piob.info for both).

By the mid-19th century - say Gunn's collection in 1848 - the four-note run is only found in marches. Strathspeys are played with triplets, notated with all notes of equal length. As late as the 1960s and 70s, when I was learning, some strathspey tripets were played even, and some as two semiquavers followed by a quaver. Now, it seems, almost all professional players play triplets in this way, with the exception of Alasdair Gillies whom I've heard playing occasional tunes in the old (1970s, not 1780s) style

Ross
Old 01-25-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Anderson
By the mid-19th century - say Gunn's collection in 1848 - the four-note run is only found in marches. Strathspeys are played with triplets, notated with all notes of equal length.
Note that this applies only to the way pipers play strathspeys. Fiddlers still do the four-note runs all the time, often in the same places in the same tunes where pipers play their triplets.
The timing of these four-note runs, like the timing of the triplets that pipers play in their stead, is difficult on impossible to precisely show in written music. Just listen to some good Scottish fiddlers and you'll hear what they sound like.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I was at a fiddle workshop with John Taylor, a great Scottish fiddler, last summer. He spoke a bit about triplets in strathspesys. He said that fiddlers almost always play the triplets in a way that's closest to two short notes and a long (1/16, 1/16, 1/8, or Semiquaver Semiquaver Quaver), but occasionally play them as actual triplets (three notes of equal length). He even passed out some music that had the triplets notated both ways for clarity, iirc -- that is, in these 4 places play two 16th and an 8th, but in this one spot play an even triplet.

He didn't mention anything about runs of 4, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything other than it wasn't part of what he wanted to discuss.

Bob
Old 01-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Barry Shears

Hello,
The four note run is still played quite often in Cape Breton fiddling eg King George the IV strathspey as well as many others. It loses something in the transition from fiddle to bagpipe since in Cape Breton each note of the run is played with a single bow stroke, thereby cutting up the rhythm. This of course is unachievable on the bagpipe and it sounds more like a slur. Reversing bow direction of each note really brings out the beautyof the run.
Barry Shears
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Good point Barry. Yep the fiddlers single-bow the four-note runs (quadruplets??) and the effect is magical. Sometimes they bow them agressively, sometimes sweetly. All that shading that doesn't happen on the pipes.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper
Good point Barry. Yep the fiddlers single-bow the four-note runs (quadruplets??) and the effect is magical. Sometimes they bow them agressively, sometimes sweetly. All that shading that doesn't happen on the pipes.
Three notes in the space of 2 is a triplet. A quadruplet is 4 notes in the space of 5. You can hear quintuplets (5 in the space of 4) in the outro of Sweet Home Alabama.

Four sixteenth notes is just a run.

Bob
Old 02-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864
...in the outro of Sweet Home Alabama.
Which book is that in?

Best, John
Old 02-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

I guess the main difficulty I've had in playing these is keeping the bouncey aspect I'm used to in strathspeys. It ends up sounding a bit more like a march or reel.