Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
moke one
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Canadian "Provincial " Tunes

Looking for names of tunes that are specifically related and recognizable, individually, as associated with Prince Edward Island, British Columbia, Yukon.
NWT and Nunavut also if there any pipers there.
Why? Canada Day is approaching, it would be nice to have a national medley.
moke one is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-15-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
Stephanie Allen
Forum Regular

Default Re: Canadian "Provincial " Tunes

Check out Bruce Gandy's original compositions. He is like the Stompin' Tom of the pipe band world (has written a tune about every place he has been!)

It seems to me we have a maritime medley and I think there is a tune called PEI. I'll check tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

"Farewell to Nova Scotia" plays nicely. :)

Last edited by Pip01; 06-16-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Tom MacKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Prince Edward Island Cairns, P.M. A. M 4/4 Scots Guards- Standard Settings Of Pipe Music, Volume III; Compiled By Brigadier Harry Nickerson

Quebec Breakdown Grey, Michael R 3/2 Music For Pipers, The Second Collection Of Tunes For The Highland Bagpipe, Compiled By Michael Grey; ISA Music, 27-29 Carnoustie Place, Scotland Street, Glasgow, G5 8PH, Scotland ISBN 1-872754-01-5

Manitoba Flat-Top Grey, Michael HP 2/4 Old And New Tunes, The Third Collection Of Tunes For The Highland Bagpipe, Compiled By Michael Grey; ISA Music, 27-29 Carnoustie Place, Scotland Street, Glasgow G5 8PH Scotland; ISBN 1-872754-06-6 1995

Irish Guards Welcome to Toronto, The Angus MacDowell M 4/4 www.pipetunes.ca; Jim McGillivray; Access to tune requires purchase.

Edmonton Caledonian Pipe Band McCarrol, Darby M 6/8 Iain MacCrimmon's Book Three, Music For The Great Highland Bagpipe, Iain MacCrimmon, 1985

Banff To Victoria MacLeod, D.SA 6/8 Pipe Major Donald MacLeod's Collection Of Music For The Highland Bagpipe, Book 5; Pipe Major Donald MacLeod, 44 Cardonald Gardens, Glasgow G52 3PG (Cannon 399)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:26 AM   #5
Helvetica
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke one View Post
Looking for names of tunes that are specifically related and recognizable, individually, as associated with Prince Edward Island, British Columbia, Yukon.
NWT and Nunavut also if there any pipers there.
Why? Canada Day is approaching, it would be nice to have a national medley.

This made me think a bit: I'm from Cape Breton, and there are heaps of "local" songs that every good Caper recognizes and can sing along to with pride. Farewell to Nova Scotia, Barrett's Privateers, The Island, Rise Again... Scottish people have lots of patriotic songs as well.

But I struggle to think of songs that people from other provinces might know/sing. Apart from Great Big Sea songs, are there any more traditional songs that can bring a tear to the eyes of Newfoundlanders? What about New Brunswick & PEI? Or the prairie provinces? I lived in Ontario for 8 years and can't think of any songs all Ontarians would know. Apart from "The Good Old Hockey Game", but that's not really about Ontario.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Helvetica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:37 AM   #6
Anorthosite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
This made me think a bit: I'm from Cape Breton, and there are heaps of "local" songs that every good Caper recognizes and can sing along to with pride. Farewell to Nova Scotia, Barrett's Privateers, The Island, Rise Again... Scottish people have lots of patriotic songs as well.

But I struggle to think of songs that people from other provinces might know/sing. Apart from Great Big Sea songs, are there any more traditional songs that can bring a tear to the eyes of Newfoundlanders? What about New Brunswick & PEI? Or the prairie provinces? I lived in Ontario for 8 years and can't think of any songs all Ontarians would know. Apart from "The Good Old Hockey Game", but that's not really about Ontario.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Newfoundland has tons of trad material. ''Ode to Newfoundland'' is kind of tricky on the pipes, but ''I's the b'y'' is quite easy and recogniseable.

I cannot speak for Ontario, but in Quebec everyone will sing along to ''Gens du pays''. Which quebecers also sing when it's someone's birthday. It fits perfectly on the pipes, but you might want to play that on June 24th for the provincial holiday.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
Helvetica
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorthosite View Post
Newfoundland has tons of trad material. ''Ode to Newfoundland'' is kind of tricky on the pipes, but ''I's the b'y'' is quite easy and recogniseable.

How could I have forgotten I's the Bye! Also We'll Rant and We'll Roar, and Kelligrew's Soiree.
Helvetica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ah... Begin to stir th' pot... and all sorts of
Lovelies... begin to come to the surface... :)

Old 06-17-2020, 11:20 PM   #9
moke one

Thank You for the replies. Some interesting suggestions.

Tunes (pipe settings) that I have in my repertoire so far, from east to west, for this particular medley (July 1 Canada Day):
Newfoundland: Ode to Newfoundland (I have lots of other Nfld tunes)

Cape Breton: Oran do Cheap Bretagne

Nova Scotia: Farewell to Nova Scotia
PEI ?

New Brunswick: Vive La Canadienne (Canadas only Official bilingual province)
Quebec: Frere Jaque (I don't recall Gen du Pays from my 33 years in Quebec, left in '93, perhaps that is why. Need help here).
Ontario. Expo '76 tune, A Place to stand etc. (Work in progress) or Maple Leaf Forever.

Manitoba; Red River Valley
Saskatchewan. ?
Alberta. Home on the Range
BC? Possibly Mist Covered Mountains; Bruce Gandys Victoria Harbour is specific to Victoria BC; I will explore "Banff to Victoria".
O Canada (Yes there is a reasonable setting).
Yukon ?

Not quite "official" Provincial tunes, but tunes that are recognisable to the "ear" on the street and associated with particular locations. Privy piping is an acceptable description.

PEI, Saskatchewan and Yukon all have pipers, so how about some input from them.
moke one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:32 AM   #10
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke one View Post
Quebec: Frere Jaque (I don't recall Gen du Pays from my 33 years in Quebec, left in '93, perhaps that is why. Need help here).
O Canada (Yes there is a reasonable setting).

There is no way that Frere Jacques (it is a kids song) is the provincial tune, it is for sure Gens du pays, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gens_du_pays

Go into Old Montreal, in any of the bars on June 24 and you'll be sure to hear it

The setting I have is from P/M Cairns

As for O Canada, it does not fit the pipe scale, use The Maple Leaf Forever.