Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #31
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Regular

Default Re: "Wrongly" arranged and misprinted tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmaclellan View Post
I think we're very lucky to have had composers like Pipe Major Donald MacLeod, Pipe Major George S MacLennan, Pipe Major John MacLellan, Dunoon, Archie MacNeill, and many, many more. The music they made was not "folk" music, it was classic composition and pure genius and I think the point is simply that it shouldn't be mucked about with.

I don't think anyone would get very far "rearranging" the works of Bach, Beethoven, or Berlioz; it's no different in piping.

Traditional "folk" tunes, maybe; but all too often you hear versions which don't even follow the simple systemic method of embellishment which our music is based on.

Poor playing is poor playing, no matter the guise it's wrapped in.

Thank you, Sir! I was beginning to believe that I was the only one who thought this way. The snowball effect also causing issues on the competition boards! On more than one occasion, I have been knocked out of the prize list because I played this or that note, and "...it should have been this or that note" according to the gentleman with the clipboard on any given day.

I already have challenges in piping with my service background, where we are jokingly told that we have OCD because we train, train, train, and train again until whatever we are working on was so ingrained into us that we could do it in our sleep. There was a base standard, and it was set and unchangeable. A reference note if you will.

In my piping, I can not seem to find the "reference note" if you will. It seems that every thing is open to interpretation, and a personal like or dislike. No absolutes, with the possible exception of Piobaireachd, where there is more of a "it is properly played this way" type of approach.

I have almost come to the point where the wind is now knocked out of my sail when I compete. I now psychologically prepare myself for a judge to tell me, "you played this note instead of that movement", etc. If the stars aligned the night before, perhaps I will place, if not - well, if was good exposure for a person who spent their entire professional life dodging people and trying not to be noticed! I still learn something and take away a valuable lesson each time. (...now if I could only learn and improve enough to move up to Grade 2! (Ha!)

I think my plan is going to include taking a copy of the tunes I play and provide it to the judge so that they may see that I am playing the setting given me by my instructor. Seems to be about the only way to be able to come to an understanding of what was played "correctly" or not.

Last edited by Army.Bagpiper; 09-17-2020 at 08:38 PM. Reason: To increase clarity or intent of message.
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-17-2020, 11:18 PM   #32
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: "Wrongly" arranged and misprinted tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army.Bagpiper View Post
I have almost come to the point where the wind is now knocked out of my sail when I compete. I now psychologically prepare myself for a judge to tell me, "you played this note instead of that movement", etc.
I know exactly how you feel. I haven't competed in 20 years and the thought of it still makes me nervous. First off, where else can we play for an informed audience but in a competition? Second, judges sometimes focus on small details because they want to give you some sort of reason for not coming in first. And finally, judges are just people. Sometimes it's their problem, not yours.