Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #51
celticmanone
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Canmore Hybrid bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post

.. Since you can't tie in your own stocks with these, I'm wondering if there's a difference.
Not sure if this statement by Dapper DAN has been addressed here, but I can tell you itís not accurate. Iíve been playing my pipes tied in to a Canmore Hybrid for some time now and I couldnít be more pleased. Grommets will eventually fail and long before a well tied in Canmore hybrid. And itís airtightness is matched only by a tied in Gannaway.

Ron
Old 11-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #52
celticmanone
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Tie in a hybrid Canmore? Iím doubtful itís possible to end up airtight as a leather bag. If you contact Canmore Iíd guess theyíll say the same.
I think that would be a bad guess. If you can tie in a quality bag properly it will be airtight whether itís a hide or hybrid. Iíve played Begg sheep and hide, L&M hide, Gannaway and Canmore Hybrid over the years. All tied in and nary a problem with any. Personally all the grommetted bags Iíve used have been more short-lived. Basically fewer things to go wrong without grommets and zippers. One of my best overall pipe bags is a 2004 L&M hide medium. No grommets, no zippers, no problems. Unfortunately L&M has discontinued these bags Years ago.

Ron
Old 12-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #53
celtickc86
Forum Member

I am very interested in trying out Canmore Hybrid, just not sure which size. I have only ever had Bannatyne Hybrids (Medium, WMC, Ext Small; in that order). The WMC was a nice bag, but just not the right cut for me as it was quite uncomfortable for my build.

I am 6'0" and around 195lbs. I exercise/lift frequently, so though my sleeve length is long (~36"), my forelimbs have some "meat" on them. I only mention this because I am curious if the extra "meat" of the arms, lats, and pecs would determine a certain bag size.

I am looking to go up in size from the Ext. Small after recently playing my buddy's pipes after he installed a Medium Bann. Hybrid. I realized how much I missed the bigger size.

I see that Canmore has the Medium and the Medium extended. What is the benefit of the extended?

Any help would be appreciated.
celtickc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #54
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtickc86 View Post
I am very interested in trying out Canmore Hybrid, just not sure which size. I have only ever had Bannatyne Hybrids (Medium, WMC, Ext Small; in that order). The WMC was a nice bag, but just not the right cut for me as it was quite uncomfortable for my build.

I am 6'0" and around 195lbs. I exercise/lift frequently, so though my sleeve length is long (~36"), my forelimbs have some "meat" on them. I only mention this because I am curious if the extra "meat" of the arms, lats, and pecs would determine a certain bag size.

I am looking to go up in size from the Ext. Small after recently playing my buddy's pipes after he installed a Medium Bann. Hybrid. I realized how much I missed the bigger size.

I see that Canmore has the Medium and the Medium extended. What is the benefit of the extended?

Any help would be appreciated.
Yours and my physical specs are near identical but 34/35Ē sleeve.
I play a size large camore hybrid on two sets of pipes. The medium is 3/4Ē smaller..so going up to large for you,IMO, wonít be noticed.
Personally I see no value in an extend medium vs Ďplainí medium. That additional ~2Ē sticking out back does..? ( and might defeat the bag cover length)

Canmore hybrid
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #55
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmanone View Post
I think that would be a bad guess. If you can tie in a quality bag properly it will be airtight whether itís a hide or hybrid. Iíve played Begg sheep and hide, L&M hide, Gannaway and Canmore Hybrid over the years. All tied in and nary a problem with any. Personally all the grommetted bags Iíve used have been more short-lived. Basically fewer things to go wrong without grommets and zippers. One of my best overall pipe bags is a 2004 L&M hide medium. No grommets, no zippers, no problems. Unfortunately L&M has discontinued these bags Years ago.

Ron
Best tie in experience I have ever had with a pipe bag (though I have yet to tie in sheep or goat skin). Exactly what I wanted in every sense.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:56 AM   #56
dwindbag
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Best tie in experience I have ever had with a pipe bag (though I have yet to tie in sheep or goat skin). Exactly what I wanted in every sense.

Nice job. Thanks for sharing the pics.
dwindbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #57
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwindbag View Post
Nice job. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Thank you, glad you got something out of it
Old 01-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #58
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmanone View Post

Ron
I've had a few bags over the 40 years since I started piping. The shortest-lived was a CanMore Grommeted GoreTex bag, the second Goretex bag I'd owned. It died five minutes before a gig, failing at the bass grommet. Luckily, I had strong cord and ectrical tape in the car and re-tied thehn bass drone before the bride showed up. That bag lasted just short of five years. The first bag, and L&M lasted 10 years. In my experience, simpler is better.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #59
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
I've had a few bags over the 40 years since I started piping. The shortest-lived was a CanMore Grommeted GoreTex bag, the second Goretex bag I'd owned. It died five minutes before a gig, failing at the bass grommet. Luckily, I had strong cord and ectrical tape in the car and re-tied thehn bass drone before the bride showed up. That bag lasted just short of five years. The first bag, and L&M lasted 10 years. In my experience, simpler is better.
Yep...my 1st green Canmore ca 1993 failed at the bass grommet also...after about 4 yrs.

Several bags later now....I ....2 yrs ago.... installed a new Canmore hybrid. It is absolutely fantastic for feel and more so...for moisture control. Zillion times better than the old green bags...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:45 PM   #60
Kyle C.H.
Forum Clasp

Just tried the Canmore Hybrid and it's fantastic. I prefer the position it puts the drones versus the red suede Ross bags. I've tried lots of bags, and the only one I've had leaking issues with was the L&M Scotian, which leaked like a sieve and had patched holes direct from the factory. The Canmore seems similar to the Bannatyne hybrid bags but I find the large Canmore hybrid to be more comfortable.