Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Webmaster & Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webmaster & Software Piping site related, piping music related

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
Skyelark
Forum Member

Default Recording app

Hi,

Im looking for recomendations for an app (iphone or samsung tablet) that would work well for recording my practice sessions. Anyone use such a thing or have experience?

Thanks from a snowy Northern California!

Hope you all have a great Irish Superbowl (my wife's term) weekend!
Skyelark is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Conrad84
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Recording app

The 'voice recorder' app on my Samsung cell phone is all I need to notice a lagging tempo, flat D, or crushed doubling.

Joking aside, it works shockingly well in a variety of spaces and at varying distances from the microphone. My guess is that cell phone mics these days are designed to handle a lot of noise or very loud volume.
Conrad84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Randy Erickson
Forum Silver Medal

I've had good luck with Hi-Q MP3 Recorder (Android).
Randy Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
EyeC

I've gotten good results using the voice memo option on both my iPad and iPhone.
EyeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
CelticHiker
Forum Regular

I've also had good luck with the voice memo app on my i-devices. I've played around with others that create "better" recordings, but at the end of the day, the built in voice memo recordings are just fine and allow me to hear everything I need to hear.

You can always go with a fancier app that will give you better recordings, but unless you are trying to produce a CD or something, do you really need to be able to hear the crushed doublings, changes in tempo, etc. in high definition surround sound? I came to the conclusion that I didn't, and the smaller file size was a nice benefit as well.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

I also use the Voice Memo app on my iDevices.

Occasionally, though, Iíll use the video function - it seems to capture a wide range of tone.

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Erickson View Post
I've had good luck with Hi-Q MP3 Recorder (Android).
Good advice just down loaded it. Seems ok! Anyone know if you can plug a mic into an android phone?

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:07 AM   #8
pj chowning

I use an app called Anytune. It does a fine job recording with a great way of organizing tunes plus has many excellent playback options.
pj chowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #9
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

I use an app for android called J4T. Its a 4 track for your phone. Results are good enough for country work.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

As far as the recording quality that you can get at home, on a scale of 100, the built in voice recorder on an iphone is probably at least 93. The only failing is the compression cuts out sounds above 16khz or so. You can hear that if you're recording a drum set, but probably not pipes. If you can hear it, then the "Voice Record Pro" app is free and it will record uncompressed wav files. They have a paid version that gets rid of ads and lets you transfer larger files. Voice Record Pro is nice for playback since it has a large slider you can use to navigate through the recording.

The real limiting factor in the iphone is the microphone and an app isn't going to help you in that regard.

That, and it doesn't do stereo. I recently bought a Shure mv88. It works well and it has a nifty app that lets you do interesting things with the stereo image. We recently did some parallel recording with the mv88 and an iPhone compared to a Zoom H4n. It is interesting because there is an audible difference. It's even more interesting that I prefer the sound of the mv88 while my wife prefers the sound of the Zoom. She describes the mv88 as "fuzzy" while I describe the Zoom as "harsh". Some day I might set up both of those with a studio mic and see how they all compare.

Voice Record Pro:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voic...546983235?mt=8

MV88:
http://www.shure.com/americas/motiv/mv88