Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA
Default Reaching out to those who have only been on the chanter ready for first pipes

Hello,
This is Michael.
Unfortunately I've had no success whatsoever in trying to pass my Naill plastic pipes on to anybody, primarily because I've not found someone who has only been playing practice chanter and has not purchased their first set of pipes yet. So this is my effort to try.
Unfortunately I've tried selling them in the Trading post but nobody wanted them. I reached out to as many pipers as I could muster, asking them if they know of anybody who hasn't purchased their first set of pipes yet - they too didn't know of anyone I could talk to. I tried posting my pipes for sale in Bagpipes for Sale and Swap but due to its lack of blind accessibility, I can't post anything. So I guess I'm stuck.
I'm not going to sell them directly on this thread, but I just want to try to get in touch with somebody who has not purchased their first set of Highland pipes yet and feels ready for a first set. I'm going to deal with it on a personal private level, so all I'm doing here is just looking for a candidate to reach out to. I may not be a dealer but a fairly experienced piper, so if (said beginner) has any questions about the pipes, don't hesitate to ask me. Thing is, I'm upgrading to a new set of pipes myself and don't want to have my Naills unused.
If you're interested feel free to either reply on here or just shoot me a personal message and I can help with the process when you're ready.
Thanks

Michael
Michael Kazmierski Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-11-2018, 04:17 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Reaching out to those who have only been on the chanter ready for first pipes

Is this the same set of pipes you butchered and then decided you disliked?

If so, I'd suggest your quickest route to selling them on would be to get in touch with Naill and order a new bottom joint so you can sell them as Naill intended.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:54 AM   #3
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Reaching out to those who have only been on the chanter ready for first pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
...If so, I'd suggest your quickest route to selling them on would be to get in touch with Naill and order a new bottom joint so you can sell them as Naill intended.
Or adjust your selling price accordingly.

Michael, if you wish I can help post your sale on the Bagpipes for Sale and Swap page on your behalf. But you might want to edit the original sale blurb first - it's too wordy for FB.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Is this the same set of pipes you butchered and then decided you disliked?

If so, I'd suggest your quickest route to selling them on would be to get in touch with Naill and order a new bottom joint so you can sell them as Naill intended.
Sometimes I love this place.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
CelticHiker
Forum Regular

The likely reasons you haven't been able to move the pipes are price and condition. First your asking price is way too high. It looks like I can get a brand new set with no bag or drone reeds for $925 from at least one on-line source, so no one is going to pay you $1000 for a used set. The second issue, as pointed out above, is that you have modified the pipes by having the base section reamed out, which even you agree didn't work. That modification is going to drop the price anyone is going to be willing to pay you for the pipes, and its not going to be a little drop, its going to be a big one.

As far as trying to find a beginner to sell them to, why is that your focus? I'm going to assume its not because you are trying to pass off a damaged instrument to someone who won't know any better (but you have to understand that is really how it sounds when you read it), but rather are trying to sell what you believe is a beginner set to a beginner? I would think it would be much more likely to be picked up by someone looking for a second set, for cold weather gigs and St. Patrick's day type of events for instance, rather than a beginner. Most people starting out have instructors, and any instructor is going to steer their students away from your set because it has issues, and beginners have enough issues at the beginning of their journey without adding any un-needed ones caused by a set of pipes that have been modified.

If you want to get the highest price you can, take CalumII's suggestion and contact Naill to get a replacement part to bring them back to factory specs, but realize that even then you aren't going to get close to "new" price. If you don't want to do that, you are going to have to lower your price drastically.

And just so you have something to consider when pricing the pipes, I buy a few sets of used poly pipes on-line each year which I then provide to beginners to learn on with our band. I typically pay about $500 for a complete, fully playable, and unmodified set (full sticks, stocks, chanter, bag cover and cords, drone and chanter reeds, and often a case) and then pass that price on to the student if/when they decide they want to stick with the instrument.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

What was the Naill bass bottom bore originally? ..increased a midge amount to 11/32”...what would be the effect? Bigger bass sound? Higher pitched bass sound, gravely ? Thin?... vot heppn’d?

Keith Jeffers could likely sleeve it back to original spec...if able to get the original i.d. Thin wall brass tubing at Ace Hardware. They have a floor display box of various metal tuning.

Or maybe there’s really nothing much wrong with them ...and many of us wouldnt hear....unless played side by side with an untouched set.

But I agree...way overpriced sans chanter,bag, reeds etc....and no remaining warranty ?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
milwiron
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Walton View Post
Sometimes I love this place.
Amen brother. Just sitting here chuckling to myself.
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote