Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #41
Craic Piper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Delrin pipes at the worlds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown747 View Post
All else being equal, I agree with this. Hardly scientific, but given the choice I would prefer to surround myself with natural materials instead of synthetic ones.

It's like when you listen to a midi-generated version of a tune. Perfection is devoid of life.
agreed…there's just something about it
Craic Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #42
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
We had a discussion a while back and produced a theory that plastic pipes well heat up quicker (conduct heat better). ...If that's true, then the reverse would also be true, and they will radiate heat quicker, causing more condensation when it's colder (like 45F).
Would the reverse be true? Could it be an hysterisis loop and not heat and cool linearly during a cycle?
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #43
DNorwood
Forum Member

And yet today, there is a maker (MacLellan) who arguably has cracked that nut.
Perhaps not completely in the context presented, but surely in a unique way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Rutan View Post
....... When we got onto this topic, she said it's totally possible to synthesize and replicate the cellular properties of the hardwoods we use to an extremely high degree; but that the research money couldn't be justified by the end products profit margin.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #44
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

I can not speak for how the open class players consider the materials of which pipes are made of and played.

I can only speak of my own felt experiences with my ABW & Poly Pipes.
The poly do feel heavier and seem to have more flex and bounce at the drone joints. I'm still experimenting (at my leisure) with reed combinations and have had a very Loud almost howling to me bass drone that held a 472 hertz A with my Chanter's Low A. That was remedied to some effect by adjusting the reed I settled upon as a happier choice for myself.

The Poly pipes do not play considerably different from my ABW's when the experienced volume is measured in decibels at 85. Loud yes, but given they are going to be used more for St. Patrick's Day outside events where the critically deposed listeners' ear and brain cells have been culled by alcohol, they will say it is a good sound. Drunks like Loud.

As for my ABW set, to my damaged hearing (Yes, I have some mid range hearing loss. Too many hours near poorly muffled & silenced Diesel & Gasoline Engines. Let alone Cold War sirens and Ambulance & Fire Engine sirens & horns) They do still hold a mellower sound again it is probably due to differences in reeds and materials.

As for the feel of the chanters, yes there is difference in textures, The finger stops in the Delrin having not been played as much feel sharper under my fingers as opposed to the ABW.

But from my modest perspective, I can say I have a preference to the ABWs for the perceived tonal quality versus the Poly. Not for much else, and probably when it comes to Poly vs ABW in the hands of better skilled players who been practiced in the art of piping almost as long as Bob Worrel has been they are probably better judges of the tonal qualities than myself. It is our perceptions that influence how we perceive many things.
My humble unasked perception is that ABW sounds better at this time.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #45
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper Q View Post
I

....Drone that held a 472 hertz A with my Chanter's Low A.

What brand / year chanter? Poly Abw ?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #46
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Dunbar Polys, Chanter & P1 pipes, mfg in 2017. Had to rehemp the entire set, reeds and joints. factory job was haphazard at best. Currently have a chanter reed from Mr. Husk in the chanter.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #47
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper Q View Post

Dunbar Polys, Chanter & P1 pipes, mfg in 2017. Had to rehemp the entire set, reeds and joints. factory job was haphazard at best. Currently have a chanter reed from Mr. Husk in the chanter.
I don’t know the target tuning spec for the Dunbar chanter...but 472hz seems low/flat for one made in 2017. Have you asked them?

By comparison...e.g. poly Mccallum mk3 chanters are pitched for 484-486 hz. The predecessor mk2 is 474-476hz ( standard issue until about 2009 I believe...still available).
Old 01-18-2018, 05:28 AM   #48
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

That is a consideration, but when tuning the delrin chanter to play comfortably with wooden chanters in a group that frequency gap can be insane at times.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #49
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPark View Post
You may be surprised to know that there is no quantifiable difference in the amount of condensate in a poly pipe vs. a wood pipe...if wood pipes are properly oiled...
I didn't oil the bores of those ABW Dunbars, so there you go.

After 10 minutes of playing the "poly" Dunbars the insides of the drones were soaking wet. After 30 minutes of playing either ABW set they were not.

Moisture is a much bigger consideration on Glasgow Green, standing on wet grass, in the rain, than it is playing out here in Sunny Southern California. I just can't imagine playing "poly" pipes at The Worlds, at least without an effective MCS.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 01-20-2018 at 08:26 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #50
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I’d be willing to bet good £ there might be a few sets in the circles among the very lowest grades. But not in or above Grade 3.

What is the lowest grade at the world’s ,anyway?