Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Tuning a Band to Concert Bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post

Seems half say they successfully did an orchestral gig with no resetting/no problem...and the other half did reset...also with no problem,
Not what I said. I said that I've played with the specific group in question, and that their arrangements did not require that we tune to b-flat, at that time. I don't know if that's still the case, and it's certainly not a universal statement about playing with concert-pitched instrumentalists!
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Not what I said. I said that I've played with the specific group in question, and that their arrangements did not require that we tune to b-flat, at that time. I don't know if that's still the case, and it's certainly not a universal statement about playing with concert-pitched instrumentalists!
No,...the other guy...

i played for ‘them’ 2x in nj 1984....no special chanter ( poly warmac) treatment then either. Paddy was happy/ I was happy.

Last edited by el gaitero; 12-19-2017 at 04:16 PM.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #13
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggyMcPipes View Post
SNIP
In all three cases, we tuned our chanters down as low as we could, (about 466,) and the band tuned-sharp to match us. !
466 Hz is as close to Bflat as you'll get ( as it iS B flat concert pitch give or take a few hundredths of a Hertz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggyMcPipes View Post
Whatever you do- best of luck!
Amen to that!
Old 12-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
466 Hz is as close to Bflat as you'll get ( as it iS B flat concert pitch give or take a few hundredths of a Hertz)
Oh, ha! Well, there you go.
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #15
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

You really need to invest in the Bb chanters. Taping existing chanters is an option, depending on the pitch. If you are tuning to 489 then it may be a bridge too far. If tuning at 478 then possibly, yes.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:45 AM   #16
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I was playing at a dance t'other day and asked the band if they would mind vamping along with me, and don't worry, my pipes are in concert pitch. It says something about current pitch levels that the pianist turned to me and asked "is that B or B flat?"
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
It says something about current pitch levels that the pianist turned to me and asked "is that B or B flat?"
Seriously... 493 isn't that far off... I always figured that the Great Pitch Chase would have an upper limit, but it seems that we haven't hit it yet.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #18
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Seriously... 493 isn't that far off... I always figured that the Great Pitch Chase would have an upper limit, but it seems that we haven't hit it yet.
I suspect we're a generation or two of chanters away from hitting a point where it's easy to tune to B, and once we do, I'm hoping that the pressure to stay there for convenience's sake outweighs the urge to seek higher...
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #19
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
I suspect we're a generation or two of chanters away from hitting a point where it's easy to tune to B, and once we do, I'm hoping that the pressure to stay there for convenience's sake outweighs the urge to seek higher...
Other than it's damnably inconvenient for other instrumentalists (except maybe guitarists et al who' d capo up and play out of G or A...

Yeah, lads, the tune's in 5 #s, chime right in! Oh, and for you trumpet, clarinet and tenor Sax players, that would be in C# (7#s). Altos, you'll be in G#( so call it Aflat, OK?) Right then, here we go…
Old 01-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #20
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Other than it's damnably inconvenient for other instrumentalists (except maybe guitarists et al who' d capo up and play out of G or A...

Yeah, lads, the tune's in 5 #s, chime right in! Oh, and for you trumpet, clarinet and tenor Sax players, that would be in C# (7#s). Altos, you'll be in G#( so call it Aflat, OK?) Right then, here we go…
Clearly, the people who are driving the great pitch chase are not concerned with playing with other instruments...