Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #11
PRAIRIEPIPER
Forum Member

Default Re: Low G won't sharpen

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and questions. Following I have tried to answer all questions and have a question of my own.

Both chanter and reed I am using are G1. The chanter is plastic.

I have plenty of experience and consider myself pretty competent in tuning both with various electronic instruments and by ear. I have 60 years of piping experience.

I am a pretty good consistent blower and don't ease off on lower notes.

My tuner is set at "equal temperament setting".

The note sounds flat against the drones and tunes flat on the tuner.

My question is on one of the suggestions I have never heard of before .... When you say put tape across the bell .... do you mean across the hole at the bottom of the chanter? Moving the tape slowly until the "Low G" sharpens? Will this also sharpen all notes?
Old 07-28-2019, 12:17 AM   #12
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAIRIEPIPER View Post

Set it at "just temperament", not equal! Just temperament is what bagpipes tune to. Equal is for piano players, guitarists and most of the Western world not playing traditional instruments. Your low G, measured on an equal temperament setting, should be -31 to -25 depending on which flavor or Pythagorean Just Intonation you prefer. On the just temperament setting, the needle should be near center. To a modern, classically trained ear, it may seem flat, but see if there is a dissonance of the note against the drones.
Now, once having done that, if the low G seems flat, putting tape across the bell of the chanter (big bottom hole at the end) can sharpen low G. For a test, put the end of the chanter on your knee while playing low G and see what the note does on the tuner. It should go sharp. It will do similarly with tape across the bell. In that position, play low A and see what it does to to that note when the chanter is on your knee. Low A might get flatter, which may cause a whole new set of problems. Tape on the low G tone holes (not the bell/exit/bottom hole) can often sharpen low A, too.
Also, if you have your tuner on the equal temperament setting, your C# and F# should appear -14 & -16 cents flat respectively. B should be +4 cents and E should be +2. D is 2-4 flat by matters of taste or opinion.
Set your tuner to Just Temperament and aim for the needle to be bang on center, or adjust accordingly from there.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:48 AM   #13
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
To reinforce what Twitchy said, which is completely accurate and sufficient, and doesnít need validation, least of all from me: This is the opposite of how to tune a bagpipe chanter. Do not carve your chanter as that is most definitely not your issue.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:43 AM   #14
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

My question is on one of the suggestions I have never heard of before .... When you say put tape across the bell .... do you mean across the hole at the bottom of the chanter? Moving the tape slowly until the "Low G" sharpens? Will this also sharpen all notes?
I havenít noticed it making any difference to other notes on my chanter, but YMMV.

Like Twitchy said above, play LG and slowly slide the bell along your knee closing off some of it to see what it does for you.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 AM   #15
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post

Out of curiosity, I looked up the Braw Tuner app and it seems to have an Equal and Just temperament setting.
I know it sounds silly to ask, but a quick check of the setting might save you a chanter.
BRAW also has a GHB setting...Q to the OP...what result if you set to GHB?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #16
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

image hosting

Hereís how I taped the bottom of my chanter to bring up the LG when it was flat.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #17
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Bumping post to see if there was ever a resolution to this problem.