Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
DavidG
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Bass drone in the way

Hi everyone,

I'm having what I assume is a posture problem, and I just can't seem to fix it.

When I play, my bass drone tends to push against my neck, and it's gotten to the point where I have a hard time keeping my head perfectly straight because of the drone being in the way. It doesn't prevent me from playing, but it's not the most comfortable situation. I've had this issue both with the
pipes I started with (old Henderson's set in an extended small ross bag) and my current set (McCallum's with an extended small banatyne bag) so I doubt the pipes are to blame.

Still, whenever I try to put back the drones in position, the bass always seems to creep back against my neck & the base of my skull.

Did anyone have and fixed a similar problem before? thanks!
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
Molasses4masses
Forum Regular

Default Re: Bass drone in the way

A simple solution (not sure if it's the right one) is to take your bass drone top part off and rotate it so that your cord between your bass drone and your middle tenor becomes twisted shorter.

Someone please correct me if I'm giving bad advice.
Molasses4masses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I had that problem with the way my pipes were tied into my last bag.

I ended taking a small length of cord and tying it between the bass and middle tenor stocks, angling the bass stock slightly inboard, moving the whole drone to a much more comfortable position.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:54 AM   #4
dougmcwh

Play in front of a mirror, that'll tell you where your problem is.
Maybe bass needs tired in at a different angle, we're all different

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk
dougmcwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #5
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

You can try moving the chanter more to the center of your body than off to the side. That will naturally pull the bag more to the right moving the drones more to the left.

But I would first maybe retie the drone into the bag at an angle towards the left. Even in a collared bag it is possible.

How about a couple of pics of you playing...one front on and one side view. Many people here on the forums have gotten corrective help that way when these situations crop up.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcwh View Post

Play in front of a mirror, that'll tell you where your problem is.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

..Or possibly an undesirable Quasimodo posture while playing....Left shoulder too high,shoulders not level/ hunched, running away from the blowstick, eating the blowstick,staring down the blowstick....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb

Or, the drone spread is wrong for your posture. I play with a tenor drone falling off the shoulder joint and one just inside. I adjust the bass to clear my noggin. If you are doing something clever like putting all the drones inside the edge of your shoulder, your noggin will intrude on the bass.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
Imbusypiping
Forum Member

If the drone is tied in correctly, is it possible that your blow stick or mouth piece it too long? I dealt with that for years and to this day, I still have neck issues.
Imbusypiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #9
DavidG

Hey guys,

I fiddled with the cords a bit and now it's better. Not perfect, but easier to keep the drone in a manageable position. I also changed the loose velveteen bagcover for one I've sewn out of harris tweed to fit my bag perfectly. With that, I have much more control of the bag position as it doesn't tend to slip around as much.

Thanks for your help!
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:05 AM   #10
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Is it because your drones are too upright?

There's a thing I see sometimes where pipers have their drones going straight up. Perhaps they think it looks cool, who can say. But their bass drone is going to come in contact with their head, which doesn't happen if you use the normal traditional posture.

Just put the bag a bit further forward when you strike in, and have the drone sloping back at a bit of an angle, and the bass can't touch anything more than the bass of your neck.

I just looked over a number of vintage photos of pipers playing and very few show the bass drone in contact with the neck at all.

Here's the most upright drones I could find, potentially in contact with his collar and ear

I could post a hundred photos showing the drones like this, not in contact with the neck at all

A good modern pipe corps, note the bass positions

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 04-20-2017 at 05:16 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote