Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
jdj
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default EZDrone Reeds for Border pipes

I own a magnificent set of Ray Sloan border pipes and I would like to try a set of EZ drones reeds since I have had such a good experience with them in my GHBs. Here's the problem, the EZ drone reeds are customized to fourteen different makes of border pipes but Ray Sloan is not on the list. Does anyone have any experience with, or knowledge of what set might work (or not work) in my pipes?

Thanks,
David
jdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: EZDrone Reeds for Border pipes

I would just shoot Pipe Dreams an email and ask. I imagine they'd be happy to let you try one or two sets to see what works.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #3
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

You'll want to measure the reed seat of your drones with some brass tubing or a drill bit. A friend of mine had some EZdrone smallpipe reeds that were a bit too big for the bores of my drones.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Tedley
Forum Regular

Cane reeds for bellows blown BP.
Tedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedley View Post
Cane reeds for bellows blown BP.

Maybe a better idea in California than in Michigan, methinks
Old 04-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Tedley
Forum Regular

There are cane reeds in all sorts of bellows pipes in desert states like Arizona and Utah. The work fine. What's so special about Michigan?
Old 04-29-2017, 05:27 AM   #7
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Michigan, as here in New England, has much more changeable weather than California or the desert states have in general, I believe. It's only humid here when its too hot to be damp
Old 04-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Michigan is best described as highly variable. 75 two days ago and 46 today.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
Tedley
Forum Regular

My bellows blown cane drone reeds work in all conditions I have played them in. A friend in San Diego said his reeds are playing fine in 12% RH. The day before it was 60%. I think it is a myth that cane drone reeds don't adapt to weather variations. Paddy Keenan plays his pipes around the world in the most extreme weather that exists. He told me his cane drone reeds never give him any problems. His chanter and regulator reeds do act up but not his drone reeds. I made his tenor and bass drone reeds when one of his was stolen and another was stepped on and broke. He made his drone reeds when he was 15 and is still playing his original baritone reed. A number of pro uilleann pipers in Ireland don't get the American reliance on synthetic or composite reeds. They told me cane reeds take less air, have superior tone and are reliable. Cane reeds can usually be had for half the price of the others. I never saw a composite or alternative drone reed when I was in Ireland and I asked around a lot. The Ezeedrone reeds for uilleann pipes are particularly poor in tone and are priced very high. They are very finicky to adjust. There is too much misinformation about how cane drone reeds are not reliable in varying weather. This usually comes from those who have never used them or never learned how to work with them. Many US makers of UP don't make cane reeds. I have replaced over a hundred sets of drone reeds here with cane and never heard a complaint.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
His chanter and regulator reeds do act up but not his drone reeds.
Having played uilleann pipes for 40 years here in Southern California, my experience is the opposite.

When the humidity drops here my chanter will still play after a fashion, but my (cane) drone reeds become wildly unstable. I always have to keep the drones shut off when it's very dry, and I have a gig I must do.

For some reason my chanter has a more stable Back D than others here. When it's dry that's the first thing to go, you get the sinking Back D. Then you loose Bottom D pretty much.

Quote:
A number of pro uilleann pipers in Ireland don't get the American reliance on synthetic or composite reeds.
A number of pro uilleann pipers in Ireland don't have to deal with the weather that we do.

Years ago I heard The Chieftains here in SoCal during one of our Santa Ana Winds. Paddy's chanter burbled and squawked on Bottom D. You could hear the fiddles and harp going out of tune while they were being played- they re-tuned between each piece. The only thing that worked was Matt Molloy's flute.

I have no experience with EzeeDrone uilleann reeds in uilleann pipes, but I play EzeeDrone uilleann reeds in my 100 year old Scottish Smallpipes, and they sound great and are utterly stable.