Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #11
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: matching reeds/chanters for competition?

Aside from all the 'tonal' aspects of it...

It's just much easier. WAY easier. At least for the guy/gal who has to try to make them sound good and tune them.

1. If they are the same chanter/reed combo (excluding outliers...of which there are usually many...that's the point)....they will "behave" the same. If it's hot and humid...they'll all start sailing together. Or if conditions are causing the F to go flat...they'll hopefully do it together....and you have an option to fix all of them...sorta.

2. It's much easier if you know (excluding outliers again) that if you sink beyond point X, the top hand falls through the floor. If you've got a dozen reed/chanter combos...you're having to deal with a dozen different idiosyncracies...which you may or may not remember. Some reeds, you can sink and the top hand will sail. Some, you hit point X and the bottom drops out. If you know going in the likely outcome when you go to adjust someone....that's a huge thing. And if it's generally all the same....even bigger.

I'll never ever forget the day a long...long time ago...when we put in plastic Warmacs for the first time. Probably close to 35 years ago. I was fairly new. Not sure if "the band" had matched chanters in any way prior to that. Maybe some, but surely not all as we'd had an influx.

Matching Warmacs....and Jim and John Higgins came over with their reeds. With reeds randomly straight out of the box we were 5 times better. Granted, this was heady days. No longer did we have to know someone who knew someone who once dated someone who could get us a gross of Mccallister reeds shipped from Scotland. No doubt already picked over and shipped just strewn into any old random box with no padding.

75% of them were chipped/broken/misaligned blades. The other 25% were just 2x4s lashed together.

Heavenly.
John Haack is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
johnsog
Forum Regular

Default Re: matching reeds/chanters for competition?

Thanks so much for all the wonderful information!! I do have an extension of the question... We did order a bunch of band chanters that had made at the same time but, no surprise, didn't have enough to go around so more from another batch were ordered. I'm told these will be close enough that they will offer all the benefits of having identical chanters. Is that correct? All are Gibsons, by the way.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Matching reeds/chanters for competition?

Are they the same model, or just same maker?
This might get into how consistent the maker is, and that's a whole other kettle of fish sometimes.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #14
johnsog
Forum Regular

They are all Gibsons but not all the same model, I don't think. Most look alike but a few are quite different in profile.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
Winch
Forum Regular

I'm in a decent marching band and we all use the same chanter and reed combo. I just got a new Melvin reed last night.
Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #16
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsog View Post
They are all Gibsons but not all the same model, I don't think. Most look alike but a few are quite different in profile.
Most of the advice from the earlier parts of the thread are to have matching models of chanter. I only know of one grade 1 that uses more than model (SLOT uses two different models of Chesney chanters)

Matched model would be the best case scenario, but same make will get you pretty far, especially if you are G5-G3