Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Announcements and Trade > Industry News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Industry News Industry / Vendors / businesses, News and Announcements. Please check the guidelines.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
John E. McDonald
Forum Member

Default Recording of the Decade acknowledgements

A few weeks ago, I was honored to learn that Pipes/Drums Magazine announced that the Box Set of my documentary ON THE DAY: The Story of the Spirit of Scotland Pipe Band was voted “Best Recording of the Decade.” (Link here)

The decision was made by 50 accomplished piping and drumming panelists. The On The Day box set, released in 2011, two years after the DVD release, finished ahead of seven other distinguished nominees.

There are so many people, hundreds, in fact, who I share this honor with, for you are the ones who made the telling of "The Story" possible. I wish I could thank each of you personally, but for now I acknowledge you below, and apologize to those I may have omitted. Thank you all!

First, for the CD.

I want to thank Jim McGillivray for taking on the huge task of co-producing the CD, something I had no experience with and would have been totally lost without his hands-on guidance. He told me how to design the liner notes with the details that pipers would value and appreciate. And he remembered and helped locate (along with Doug Stronach, Christine McCue, Ellen Mole and Rob Crabtree) some of Alasdair Gillies’s never-released recordings from 2001.

I want to thank Doug Stronach for mastering the CD and putting in the extra effort in the 11th hour to meet the deadline and overnighting the master recording to the duplicator.

Most of all, I want to thank the solo musicians: Roddy MacLeod, Colin MacLellan, Willie McCallum, Matt MacIsaac, Niall Stewart, Simon McKerrell, Angus MacColl, Stuart Samson, Euan MacCrimmon, Niall Matheson, and again, Jim McGillivray for making the new recordings specifically for the album. They all went above and beyond, making the CD a true master work for the ages.

There was just enough room at the end of the CD to add the medley performance of the Spirit of Scotland Pipe Band at the 2008 World Pipe Band Championship. So thanks to every member of the band for a stellar performance “on the day,” and to the RSPBA and BBC Scotland producer Gregor Sterling for use of the live recording.

I also want to thank the people involved in creating the CD Liner Notes:
My daughter, Nina Schwanse, who not only designed the Liner Notes but also the “box” of the Box Set and all the contents therein.
McCallum Bagpipes and Chris Apps for the illustrations.
Kate Halsey, proofreader extraordinaire for all the Box Set copy.
The pipers, all of whom provided some background info about each of their tunes and their instruments.

My sincere thanks also extend to those who contributed so much to the additional Box Set Extras and Design:
Andrew Berthoff for writing the introduction booklet.
Angus Nicol for writing about the history of the Oban and Inverness Gold Medals in the booklet.
Derek Maxwell and Ryan MacDonald for their photographs.

And, of course, the Bonus DVD Extras disc would not have been possible if the documentary had never been made in the first place!
So I share this honor with Jennifer Febre Boase, who initiated the idea of making the documentary and provided the seed money to kickstart the production. Jim Allen (who would later co-produce Pipes & Sticks on Route 66) gets a special shout out for donating all the postproduction audio mixing at Post Haste Sound.

THE BAND
> Pipers
P/M RODDY MacLEOD MBE, Glasgow
WILLIE McCALLUM, Glasgow, Scotland
ANGUS MacCOLL, Oban, Scotland
ALASDAIR GILLIES, Ullapool, Scotland (1963-2011)
IAIN SPIERS, Edinburgh, Scotland
COLIN MacLELLAN, Edinburgh, Scotland
JENNY HAZARD, Edinburgh, Scotland
JIM McGILLIVARY, Aurora, ON, Canada
SIMON McKERRELL, Glasgow, Scotland
FINLAY JOHNSTONE, Glasgow, Scotland
SIMON MARSHALL, Livingston, Scotland
WILSON BROWN, Glasgow, Scotland
ANDY ROGERS, Fredericton, NB, Canada
ROBERT CROZIER, Melbourne, Australia
NIALL STEWART, Kyle of Lochalsh, Scotland
IAIN RUARIDH FINLAYSON, Kyle of Lochalsh
STUART SAMSON MBE, Glasgow, Scotland
JOHN MULHEARN, Glasgow, Scotland
BILLY EVANS, Ballyclare, County Antrim, Ireland
ANDREW BERTHOFF, Toronto, ON, Canada
NIALL MATHESON, Inverness, Scotland
EUAN MacCRIMMON, Oban, Scotland
MATT McISAAC, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
> Side Drummers
L/D JOHN FISHER, Vancouver, BC, Canada
GRAHAM KIRKWOOD, Oakville, ON, Canada
JAMIE TROY, Victoria, BC, Canada
CURT WATTS, Vancouver, BC, Canada
SCOTT NICHOLSON, Kingston, ON, Canada
JAQUIE TROY, Victoria, BC, Canada
CHARLIE CABLISH, St. Louis, USA
DAN BIST, Barrie, ON, Canada
MARK McKERRELL, Glasgow, Scotland
> Bass Drummer
CRAIG COLQUHOUN, Kincardine, ON, Canada
> Tenor Drummers
CHRIS DUNCAN, Blairgowrie, Scotland
WHITNEY BONNET, Kincardine, ON, Canada
TIM DJURSING, Copenhagen, Denmark
KAHLIL CAPPUCINO, Ottawa, Ontario
SIAN MAILER, Auchterarder, Scotland
AMANDA SHIRLEY, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> Drum Major
JASON PAGUIO, San Diego, California, USA
> Band Secretary
LELSIE SHAW
SPIRIT OF SCOTLAND PB SUPPORT TEAM
Ian Duncan
Finlay McDonald
Ronnie McShannon
Jonathan Cheyne
Hugh Cameron
Alberto Laidlaw
THE CREW
Cinematography
NICK HIGGINS, STUART ASBJORNSEN
Edited by
JEFFREY DOE & SERGIO PALERMO
Associate Producer
JENNIFER FEBRE
Audio Post Production
JAMES ALLAN, CHRISTOPHER SALMASSY & DEREK LEININGER
Colorist
GREG H. HAMLIN
PIED PIPER POST
Production Manager
CHARLOTTE CORNIC
Production Assistant
CLAIRE JOHNSTON
Assistant Editor
MIGUEL RAMIREZ
Music Supervisor
DOMINIQUE PREYER
Location Sound Recordist
LISA HIGGINS

SPECIAL THANKS
Aaron Shaw, Forrest MacDonald, Warren Casey, Karen Stetler, Sarah Habibi, Ian Embelton and the RSPBA, Shawn Bishop, Helen Wilkinson, Kenny MacLeod and McCallum Bagpipes, Ronnie McShannon, Alastair Dunn and R.G. Hardie & Co., Pipe Dreams (Ezeedrones), the National Piping Centre and Piping Live!, Hosbilt, McGillivrary Piping and pipetunes.ca, Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, Mike Greene and the members of the Dunsire Forum, and the hundreds of people who contributed funds, both large and small, to complete the project.
John E. McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor