Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #31
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Old Hendersons, drone suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Ok. I also play ca 30”. And revolve around Ez’s, Xtreme, Mg Carbons with no clean stop issue. ( large Canmore hybrid bag)
it seems like you’ve resolved all items on the arrow checklist to eliminate wheeze.
Respectfully,...might only the Indian be left?
Most definitely -- I'm still learning and have only been in a band for a couple of years! In the meantime, to ensure that I am not "that guy", I will choose my reeds carefully.

Last edited by HighlandPark; 02-09-2018 at 07:30 AM.
HighlandPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #32
Jim McGillivray

It took a long time for me to learn this, but as a general rule, when you're not happy with your drones, focus on the bass. There are lots of great reeds out there today, and it's never been easier to get a pair of tenor reeds that are perfectly matched and steady as a rock. But unsteadiness in the bass reed is much subtler. I would say that assuming you have proven that you can set up a perfectly steady bagpipe, nine out of 10 times not getting the instrument to lock is the fault of the bass drone reed. Colin MacLellan once told me that when his father handed Colin his MacDougall pipes for good, he gave him everything but the bass drone reed.

You may already have done this, so I apologize beforehand, but leave the tenors and try every bass drone reed you can get your hands on. And don't set them too weak. Sometimes just lengthening the tongue of a bass reed and making it stronger will solve the problem.

I'm convinced that a good piping life is little more than the constant search for a good bass drone reed.

JM
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #33
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McGillivray View Post
... focus on the bass. ... unsteadiness in the bass reed is much subtler... I'm convinced that a good piping life is little more than the constant search for a good bass drone reed.

JM
This is great advice .. thank you Jim.

Right on .. and you know, it's true that I do sometimes have some issues getting the bass -precisely- tuned ... I'll keep going back and forth.

Couldn't agree more, and thank you for chiming in ... I've been wondering if I've been starting to "lose it" when tuning the bass.

Cheers!
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #34
Austin Diepenhorst
Forum Gold Medal

My 1880’s Hendersons really like the absorbent Ezeedrones. Super stable, blended and sweet, and richer than French butter...
Austin Diepenhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #35
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Diepenhorst View Post
My 1880’s Hendersons really like the absorbent Ezeedrones. Super stable, blended and sweet, and richer than French butter...
Can't wait to hear them! Really upset I was sick last week and had to miss band!
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #36
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Regarding bass drone reeds. If it is not easily tuned, it isn't worth whatever tone it might have.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #37
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Great discussion. One thing I’d like to add is that the “sweet spot” certainly on the tenors, seems to sit on a “hill” surrounded by unsteadiness.

Tongue too long: and the reed becomes more unsteady either because of more unsteady blowing out of the comfort zone, or simply because the tongue is longer.

Tongue too short: the reed gets easier to blow, but pitches up as pressure gets closer to shut-off making the reed more susceptible to unsteady blowing.

From my experience, the Kinnaird’s “hill of steadiness” is more plateau-like than the “hill of steadiness” in other short tongued reeds. However that could simply be due to shorter tongued reeds requiring nanometer length adjustments of the bridle.

Does the above make sense?

Charlie
Old 02-21-2018, 04:35 AM   #38
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

All very helpful and insightful. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote