Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #21
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: I LOVE my bagpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
Reminds me if a particular interview story I heard
https://youtu.be/A5T5mb21MkY
Go in at 3:50 for the story
I'm also reminded this statement that Jim McGillivray had posted back when I was reaching out on here for suggestions on my aforementioned Henderson setup ... and it was Colin MacLellan he was talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McGillivray View Post
It took a long time for me to learn this, but as a general rule, when you're not happy with your drones, focus on the bass. There are lots of great reeds out there today, and it's never been easier to get a pair of tenor reeds that are perfectly matched and steady as a rock. But unsteadiness in the bass reed is much subtler. I would say that assuming you have proven that you can set up a perfectly steady bagpipe, nine out of 10 times not getting the instrument to lock is the fault of the bass drone reed. Colin MacLellan once told me that when his father handed Colin his MacDougall pipes for good, he gave him everything but the bass drone reed.

You may already have done this, so I apologize beforehand, but leave the tenors and try every bass drone reed you can get your hands on. And don't set them too weak. Sometimes just lengthening the tongue of a bass reed and making it stronger will solve the problem.

I'm convinced that a good piping life is little more than the constant search for a good bass drone reed.

JM
Here's that thread: http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...vray+bass+reed
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #22
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair
Reminds me if a particular interview story I heard
https://youtu.be/A5T5mb21MkY
Go in at 3:50 for the story

A wonderful vid!! :)

Many thanks!!

Old 01-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #23
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Love the stories.

If you like more of them, check out http://www.piperspersuasion.com/ full of quality interviews with great and the good of piping.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #24
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

I love the comment by Jim Migillivray on the bass. Thanks for including that. It reminded me of a student I had getting ready to compete in Pleasanton. He was frustrated, having a hard time getting the drones, especially the bass to lock in. As I approached him, I realized the problem was that he was standing right near a generator and compressor for one of the food tents, and the bass-like hum was throwing him off.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #25
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
I love the comment by Jim Migillivray on the bass. Thanks for including that. It reminded me of a student I had getting ready to compete in Pleasanton. He was frustrated, having a hard time getting the drones, especially the bass to lock in. As I approached him, I realized the problem was that he was standing right near a generator and compressor for one of the food tents, and the bass-like hum was throwing him off.

That’s absolutely happened to me!
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #26
Chris M
Forum Regular

I wouldn’t normally post but am trying to a bit given the forum activity thread

I love my current pipes

Robertson 1920s ebony bought a few years ago from Jim McGillivray

Lee ‘Jack’ hybrid bag (I don’t season it)
Trap drip with bottle on end
Bannatyne dri flo

Ezeedrones with inverted bass

Nail chanter with Macphee reed

I’ve tried kinnaird original and evolution selbies canning redwood spitfire xtreme balancetone but found ezeedrones steadiest and stablest for me. At a workshop it was suggested to me that croziers might be even more suitable so I have a set to try

I’ve tried G1 Melvin Russell Troy and maclellan reeds all with good results but keep going back to the Macphee

Was also happy with a Lee goatskin bag prior to getting the hybrid

For moisture I found trapdri alone not enough for my wet blowing, with a bottle and bead attachment I had too much drying, moose valve not enough, I wasn’t diligent enough about keeping a kinnaird kanister dry so it worked well when it worked but sometimes failed when I had neglected it. The visual change in the bannatyne system helps me stay on top of the bead changing

To give you a sense of the wetness of my blowing 40 years ago with just an l&m bag and no mcs an extended playing session would end with me being showered with the moisture spraying out of my drones!
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:25 PM   #27
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

OK, I'll jump in…
1979 G&M BP2, bought new forty years ago in November, shortly after starting lessons.

.original McLeod chanter
currently playing Melvin B flat chanter reeds, but also using Mur-reed and one Glenarley reed.

Selbie tenor Drone reeds alternating between cane Bass and Selbie bass, depending on the weather conditions.

Gannaway tie-in bag.

I'm usually set up to play at B flat, a= 466Hz or slightly above (470 Hz)

Back-up/Foul weather set ABC poly drones (2019), Selbie drone reeds, Shepherd chanter reed, adjustable blowpipe, hide bag. (Blue, maker unknown)
Old 01-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #28
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

I have four 'keeper' sets but, in particular, I have two 'will never part with and love 'em to death' sets.

My absolute number one set was made for me by Charles MacGoldrick in Northern Ireland and they are absolutely incredible sounding and beautiful to look at as far as I am concerned. They are chalice topped with brass ferrules, slides and caps and green and purple acrylic mini pro mounts and the bag is a Canmore Medium hybrid with bottle trap. Chanter is a Naill blackwood solo chanter and the reeds are Canning blue drones and a Colin MacLellan chanter reed (brilliant reed!)

My second set is a chalice topped Mopane set by Charles with copper ferrules and copper ring around the tops, ivory bushes and Purple Heart projecting mounts fitted to a Canmore medium hybrid with bottle trap. Chanter is a Naill poly and, again reeds are Canning Blues in the drones and Colin MacLellan in the chanter. On this set the Mopane is undyed and I have to say that I was blown away by the grain that this wood possesses! Rich amber colour and strong varied lines. The colour harmonizes extremely well with the copper ferrules and top rings.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:59 AM   #29
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTallanambeann View Post
I have four 'keeper' sets but, in particular, I have two 'will never part with and love 'em to death' sets.
Post photos! We'd love to see them.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:01 AM   #30
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Here are a pair of photos showing both my most treasured pipes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150491...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150491...posted-public/

I know the Ancient Weathered Buchanan bag cover might not be to everyones taste on the Mopane set but I was feeling in an unusually happy mood at the time I decided to outfit them in it.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote