Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors
View Poll Results: How many sets of GHBs do you own?
One 27 18.88%
Two 47 32.87%
Three 28 19.58%
Four 16 11.19%
Five 7 4.90%
Six 6 4.20%
Seven 0 0%
Eight 6 4.20%
Nine 1 0.70%
Ten or more 5 3.50%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: How many sets do you own?

Three -

1982 ABW Kintail KB-3 - this was my first set, purchased direct from Grieg Sharpe. My instructor, a professional piper, recommended Kintail at the time. Kintail had its problems over the years, but the set I got had outstanding tone and I won a number of prizes including Piper of the Day with it. There was a problem with the stocks splitting and I had to replace the middle tenor stock. Felt that Kintail wasn't doing a very good job of curing the ABW. Hope to one day pass this set on to one of my grandchildren, good starter set.

2012 ABW Dunbar DB-6 - this is my band set, very good bold tone.

1963 ABW Henderson S&I - my solo set, outstanding tone, bit more refined with Canning drone reeds.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #12
Dave Weinstein
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I'm a bit of an outlier as I've just ordered my first set of GHB (the MacRae SL4/FNs mentioned above), but have three sets of Smallpipes.
Dave Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #13
Milly
Forum Silver Medal

I own two sets,
1915-1920 Hendersonís African Blackwood
1937 Robertsonís S/I

Both lovely sounding pipes.
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #14
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Main set is 2009 McCallums used for solos.
Second set is 2014 Wallace. This was a very reliable band set, currently underused.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:53 PM   #15
Barry Shears

I had to think for a minute since some sets are missing the original chanter or a stock here and there but here goes from oldest to newest:
1. C. 1780 horn mounted set, complete except for a few missing rings
2. c. 1810 Two droned set (with a bass from another manufacturer)
3.c. 1800-1817 three droned set complete with ribbons possibly from a Fencible reg't, came to CB around 1817.
4. early Donald MacDonald 2 drones set, bass and tenor,
5. immigrant set 3 droned possibly MacDonald, one of two identical sets brought to CB early 19th century.
6. Gavin MacDougall , ivory mounted, 1910
7. Henderson, c. 1906, silver and ivory, sliver added in 1950s and the of the ivory turned down for the new silver, one tenor replacement, not quite a match. Great sound
8. Henderson, 1926, remounted in silver and imt. ivory a few years ago were originally casein and nickel (mostly cocus wood)
9. Henderson late 1920-30s, a few parts have been copied and I am awaiting a good quote on silver and int ivory refurb.
10. RG Lawrie's, ebony c.1908, nickel and ivory,
11. Duncan Gillis bagpipe c. 1900. apple wood
12. David Glen Cocus wood, missing a tenor drone,
13. RG Lawrie's , c. 1950 ivory mounted, missing a bass section
14. most of set of Robertsons, c. 1950
15 oops forgot this one, early Robertson c. 1920

OK so have a problem. two sets are on loan to museum in Cape Breton, and I suspect the really old sets in my collection will all go there at some point.
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #16
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Shears View Post
I had to think for a minute since some sets are missing the original chanter or a stock here and there but here goes from oldest to newest:
1. C. 1780 horn mounted set, complete except for a few missing rings
2. c. 1810 Two droned set (with a bass from another manufacturer)
3.c. 1800-1817 three droned set complete with ribbons possibly from a Fencible reg't, came to CB around 1817.
4. early Donald MacDonald 2 drones set, bass and tenor,
5. immigrant set 3 droned possibly MacDonald, one of two identical sets brought to CB early 19th century.
6. Gavin MacDougall , ivory mounted, 1910
7. Henderson, c. 1906, silver and ivory, sliver added in 1950s and the of the ivory turned down for the new silver, one tenor replacement, not quite a match. Great sound
8. Henderson, 1926, remounted in silver and imt. ivory a few years ago were originally casein and nickel (mostly cocus wood)
9. Henderson late 1920-30s, a few parts have been copied and I am awaiting a good quote on silver and int ivory refurb.
10. RG Lawrie's, ebony c.1908, nickel and ivory,
11. Duncan Gillis bagpipe c. 1900. apple wood
12. David Glen Cocus wood, missing a tenor drone,
13. RG Lawrie's , c. 1950 ivory mounted, missing a bass section
14. most of set of Robertsons, c. 1950
15 oops forgot this one, early Robertson c. 1920

OK so have a problem. two sets are on loan to museum in Cape Breton, and I suspect the really old sets in my collection will all go there at some point.
Barry
Wowsers!! That IS a museum!!
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #17
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Indeed we have two museum-worthy collections it seems!

I see that three-quarters of the respondents have one to three sets.

I should put up another poll perhaps? Asking how many GHB sets do you regularly play? Because I'm guessing that the people with a large number of GHB sets don't regularly play all of them.

Seems that the max number of GHBs I can keep in regular playing rotation is two: in the short time-periods I've owned three, one of the three got neglected, then sold.

I have an interesting sort of set-and-a-half thing actually: my old Starcks have a superb powerful bass and interesting complex dark tenors that want to tune to 466 and don't have a strong enough tone for band work.

To create a modern-pitch band-worthy set I had Rick Pettigrew make me a pair of tenors with the Dunbar Hendersonesque bores. The result is very nice.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #18
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
Kintail had its problems over the years, but the set I got had outstanding tone...
Yes indeed, my Pipe Major plays a 1980s silver & ivory Kintail that's outstanding as well.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #19
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
I am curious if youíve learned why these havenít classic RGL beaded/closed slightly tapered nickel ferrules.
The set has aftermarket ferrules (stainless steel?)

For sure if a complete set of classic Lawrie spun German Silver ferrules fell into my lap I would have this set retro-fitted.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #20
Barry Shears

I would never play some of the sets due to existing cracks but when I had my old Glens I would swap out the pipes MacDougall, Henderson, Glen, and Laurie and play them for a bit with the MacDougalls and Hendersons getting most of the playing time. Still sometimes you just need to hear the Glens and Lawries, each set is different and each have their own "voice"
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote