Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
uther
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Fake 'ivory'

Does anyone else not like pretend ivory on bagpipes? Not that I particularly want real ivory either, but when I see a full set with mounts, endcaps, ferrules all I think is 'plastic' and 'fake'
I know it's seen as a traditional bagpipe look but I think my next set will be full alloy/blackwood.
Ah well, you know what they say about opinions.
uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Fake 'ivory'

Somebody once called it 'mother of toilet seat' and I don't think there is a better description!

That said, I have since seen some 'aged' imitation ivory and thought it looked rather nice. I love real ivory, I just don't think there is anything like it. I understand that's maybe not PC, or a fashionable opinion, but it's the truth.

I really do like the trend at the minute to use different woods for the mounts, even black wood. Very traditional too.
There are loads of other options too, green, purple etc. Not so into those, but variety is the spice and if it floats your boat then go for it!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
Ah well, you know what they say about opinions.
If you're laying out the money for the pipes, there is really only one opinion that counts.
If I had it to do over, I'd go for antler as on Colin Kyo's pipes.

I don't mind the imitation mounts as a rule - but I wish mine were more of an ivory color rather than pumpkin.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Agreed there’s nothing like the real thing...especially when so nicely polished you can see below its polished surface.

But meanwhile there is faux ivory / ivorine similar to as used by R.T. Shepherd that even with close scrutiny looks uniquely ‘similar’.

It’s readily available from suppliers ..wonder why more pipe makers don’t use it.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:14 PM   #5
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Personally, I haven’t had any real issues with ‘fake’ ivory. On my McCallum drones, it is off-white, not blazing white and it looks fine to me and from a distance of more than a couple of feet, I doubt anyone could really tell the difference.

On my Robertson’s the fake ivory is casein, which has darkened and cracked a little bit. Still, I like how it looks.

Of the antler fittings I have seen, it seemed a bit pale to me - lacking the warmth of real ivory. However, it has been as photos only. I really like the look of tagua nut fittings, but it seems that they’re inconsistent.

Charlie
Old 03-05-2020, 01:09 AM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
But meanwhile there is faux ivory / ivorine similar to as used by R.T. Shepherd that even with close scrutiny looks uniquely ‘similar’.

It’s readily available from suppliers ..wonder why more pipe makers don’t use it.

A lot of the "fake ivories" are made by mixing two slightly different coloured plastics together incompletely. The result is often brittle and difficult to turn. There are good quality options, but they are expensive.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:25 AM   #7
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have nothing against it myself. My go-to pipes would always be a set of standard "military pattern" full imitation ivory (or full historic (used) or mammoth/mastodon ivory); this is the style that I like the most.

Of course, it's a matter of quality of the material. I'm no fan of the many catalin-mounted sets that have all turned yellow/orange with age. And the artificial ivory should be something durable. I had a set of Kintails that had two flaws, on of which was that the imitation ivory, while rather realistic-looking, was of a very brittle material. Thankfully both my old Dunbars and my Fletchers (with which I replaced the Kintails) have artificial ivory made of a solid plastic.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:17 AM   #8
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have an old set of pipes with "Ivorine" or "French Ivory" projecting mounts. A lot of people who see the set think the mounts are ivory at first sight. The mounts are a cream color and the material was made with lines in it to resemble ivory.

This stuff is actually celluloid. It is very stable once finished. But in the shaping process it proved to be highly combustable when exposed to temperatures of 150 Celsius or higher. Evidently there were a few shop fires that started back in the day when pipe makers were shaping the celluloid. So use was discontinued among pipe makers.

Seeing in El Gaitero's post that Shepherd is using Ivorine. I wondered what their safety measures are.

Paul Hinson
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #9
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Isn't Dave Atherton offering an incredible looking art ivory on his pipes?

He may not be the only one doing so.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinson View Post
I.

Seeing in El Gaitero's post that Shepherd is using Ivorine. I wondered what their safety measures are.

Paul Hinson
..I don’t know the exact or trade name of what Shepherd uses....I’ve known ‘ivorine’ as another generalized description of faux ivory. That ‘look’ stuff was pictured here on BD some while ago....I had the impression it was even better.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote