Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-11-2020, 06:12 AM   #1
johnsog
Forum Regular

Default Burning calories

Howdy!! I've been participating in a diabetes prevention class in which we are instructed to keep track of our dietary intake as well as physical activity. Piping is such a physical activity even when we are not marching that I'm wondering if anyone knows how many calories might be burned while playing. It would be lovely to be able to record band practices in the fitness log!! Any ideas or good guesses?
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: burning calories

That's a good question; and I can understand how important it would be to log. I believe that there have been threads on this in the past. A moderator would know.

I would estimate, however, that playing for, say, half an hour would be somewhat equivalent to a half hour brisk walk. If you're playing and marching, then I would add another 50% or so.

That said, my estimate is really a total guess, with no supporting data.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

When tracking that on something like MyFitnessPal, I’ve used “playing trombone” as the input because pipes are at least as intensive of a workout as trombone.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm just naval gazing on this but I wonder if you could estimate the energy spent from a measurement of the decibels produced and time spent playing .....

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Looking at the lint in my navel....

The decibels produced by bagpipe (x) are static regardless of the energy.

In other words, on a bagpipe you can't use more energy (blowing or arm pressure) to produce more decibels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm just naval gazing on this but I wonder if you could estimate the energy spent from a measurement of the decibels produced and time spent playing .....

Kevin
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Then... and of course... there are always those extra
calories... burned away with a newer piper's Death
Grip!!... on the chanter... and not to mention... the
buckets o' sweat... on a Summer's Day... :)

Old 03-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm just naval gazing on this but I wonder if you could estimate the energy spent from a measurement of the decibels produced and time spent playing

Not really - the actual energy contained in a soundwave is surprisingly tiny - a bagpipe will be radiating a few watts of sound energy.

In terms of calorie counting, I would just count it as whatever the activity would be without the bagpipe: standing up, walking, and so forth.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Burning calories

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsog View Post
Howdy!! I've been participating in a diabetes prevention class in which we are instructed to keep track of our dietary intake as well as physical activity. Piping is such a physical activity even when we are not marching that I'm wondering if anyone knows how many calories might be burned while playing. It would be lovely to be able to record band practices in the fitness log!! Any ideas or good guesses?
Excellent.
So, back when I started a weightloss journey and was journaling everything (it really is a key component to success)….I used Sparkpeople. Like myfitness/etc. It was easy to track food and exercise. I could create my own meals and stuff from ingredients...which I often did. Same with workouts.

But....since I wasn't always in control of the meal...and I ate "meatloaf"...I just dialed up the meatloaf at Baker's Square/Bob Evans or whatever out of their database. I can't remember what restaurant it was. But they had everything.

I did the same thing for piping. They had a "marching band" activity in their database. It was probably a little on the high side in terms of calorie burn....but they're all guesstimates anyway. I figured it balanced out with the homemade meatloaf I ate being a little more healthy than the Bob Evans meatloaf that I recorded for tracking.
John Haack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #9
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

Added note:

If you've got a heart rate monitor....
There's several websites out there with calculators for age/weight/BPM.
You could plug an average HR in there and come up with a reasonable guesstimate.

If you really wanna go to town, there's probably a formula out there for plugging in your age/weight/resting heart rate....and then kick in the average over your given duration. Probably a little more accurate.

Either way it's a guess. There's no hard numbers. It's just all part of the game and the journey. I got into the numbers of it. Because they gave me goals. I know they're inaccurate.

But, still....if was burning X calories per day/week/etc....
And I did more or less the same activities week to week and did "more of them" or did some "longer" and burned X+1 calories in the following time period, I knew I had kicked it up a notch and "won".

Small victories. They pile up.
John Haack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
RJB
Forum Member

Just curious - are you interested in losing weight, or getting to a certain size?

The reason I ask is - I used to pay close attention to the scale until I found out I could actually reduce my waist size and burn fat, while gaining weight! Given the same volume, muscle weighs more than fat. I didn't care about the numbers, it was the girth I was more interested in.

So, if getting into those old jeans, or into that younger man's kilt is your objective, I wouldn't put too much stock in the scale or weight.

Good luck with your goals, any road.
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote