Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #51
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Best sounding bagpipes you’ve heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
A testament to Scots frugality..😁....and they make good tape too...
The tape has nothing to do with Scotland. The name of the tape was actually because the person who made it at 3M only put a small amount of adhesive on it and someone said “don’t be so Scotch with the adhesive” being derogatory towards Scots as being cheap and not wanting to put a satisfactory amount of adhesive on.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #52
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmaclellan View Post
I went and took a look at it just now Adam, it's still in a cigar tube where it was put by my father after he was done with it. He played it for 12 years up until 1981; then I played it for 11 years starting in 1991. So it's had 23 years actual playing on it. It still sounds ok. I reckon it's 41 years old. It's still got the strip of scotch tape on it where a small crack developed length wise on it when my father had it.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:04 PM   #53
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

I recall some Uilleann pipers playing reeds that were ancient.

One example is Séamus Ennis playing the same drone reeds his father used when the set was restored, his drone sound was legendary, the reeds were some sort of non cane material, nobody knew what it could’ve been because they were so old and grimy, probably from years of playing in smoky environments. His reeds were also fitted in place with I think beeswax or cobbler’s. They were either made by his father or John Brogan, a pipemaker who restored his pipes.

There I go rambling.

———————————————————————————————————-

On the subject of highland pipes, I love the tone of Gavin Stoddart’s pipes when I saw a video of him playing at the Scottish piping society of London recorded by Adam Sanderson.

Didn’t his father have some work done on them? Not sure what kind, but someone pointed out his unique bass drone stock.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #54
John F
Forum Regular

Where, when and how the pipes are recorded has a very big influence on the sound.

A fairly modern live recording on Youtube is this:
Roddy MacLeod - "The Donald MacDonald Quaich 2015"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ORwsvmpC28

I think the sound is fabulous. (If possible use headphones.)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #55
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

I also have to say I love the sound of the great John Partanen's Lawrie pipes with. I remember him saying on a video he had Wygent duatone drone reeds, and a Naill chanter, with what looked like a retrofitted silver sole. Very otherworldly drone sound.

I love the sound of a tenor dominant pipe. I managed to get a similar sound out of my Dunbar's with selbie reeds. Interesting was when I was playing and went from a Low A to a C, or vice versa I couldn't hear the fundamental tone of the note over the extremely rich, ringing harmonics or the tenors and the chanter. Amazing.

They eat a bit more air than my Kinnards do though, but I have them if I want to use them!

Last edited by WBpiper; 04-12-2020 at 12:12 PM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:21 PM   #56
Austin Diepenhorst
Forum Gold Medal

[QUOTE=WBpiper;1344746]I also have to say I love the sound of the great John Partanen's Lawrie pipes with. I remember him saying on a video he had Wygent duatone drone reeds, and a Naill chanter, with what looked like a retrofitted silver sole. Very otherworldly drone sound.

I love the sound of a tenor dominant pipe. I managed to get a similar sound out of my Dunbar's with selbie reeds.
You would be correct, Johns Lauries are from around 1912 I believe.
Austin Diepenhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #57
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
I recall some Uilleann pipers playing reeds that were ancient.
There's a guy playing a Taylor chanter made in the 1870s with an original Taylor reed, it still sounds good enough.

I've been playing the same reed in my uilleann chanter since 1982, it pretty much plays the same as it ever did.

Quote:
...some sort of non cane material...
In the old days they used Elder rather than cane for drone reeds.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #58
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I love the sound of the great John Partanen's Lawrie pipes. I remember him saying on a video he had Wygent duatone drone reeds... Very otherworldly drone sound.
When I first met John it would have been the late 1970s, he was playing those same magnificent full-silver pipes and yes the drone tone was outstanding.

Back then of course synthetic drone reeds weren't around so he (and everybody) was using cane.

I still have an old set of Wygent reeds, they're the first synthetic reeds I played as I recall. They still sound great.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #59
Smallpipe
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

The best sound I EVER heard was in about 1970 when I was a guest at a rehearsal of the Glasgow Red Hackle Pipe Band in their HQ... They played in a marvelous billiard room with PM John Weatherstone in the lead. Pipe sergeant was Malcolm McKenzie. They played round and round the billiard with a sound that I never experienced again ... It was not only the tuning of the pipes but also the acoustic of that room must have played a great role ... Still get goose bumps when I think about that night!
Smallpipe is offline   Reply With Quote