Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default What tune/song arrangements would you change?

If you had the power to change settings or arrangements for commonly played tunes, so that everyone would learn them your way, what would you go after?
For starters, I'll take the easy ones:
Amazing Grace: Drop the 1960's folk singer version and play it the way they sing it in churches.
Scots Wha Hae: The "Green Book" version would die a quiet, dignified death in favor of something that sounds like the actual song.
The Flower of Scotland: Mandatory C natural near the end of the phrase.
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: What tune/song arrangements would you change?

1) the horrendous "arrangement" of Danny Boy every piper but me seems to play (I play it in the key of D, where all the correct notes are available)

2) ditto Irish Eyes Are Smiling (ditto key of D, with all the correct notes)

3) God Bless America... I die a little, inside, every time I hear a piper hack this lovely tune to pieces

4) What Child Is This/Greensleeves... oh the humanity... for God's sake play it in a key where you can alternate between the sharp and flat 7th (which on the pipes is D minor)
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
1) the horrendous "arrangement" of Danny Boy every piper but me seems to play (I play it in the key of D, where all the correct notes are available)

I play it in D ,but only when it's demended of me. As a tenor I loath robbing it of the notes in the higher range- takes all the dramatic ethos out of it.

2) ditto Irish Eyes Are Smiling (ditto key of D, with all the correct notes)

3) God Bless America... I die a little, inside, every time I hear a piper hack this lovely tune to pieces
I play this with the High B- makes all the difference IMHO
4) What Child Is This/Greensleeves... oh the humanity... for God's sake play it in a key where you can alternate between the sharp and flat 7th (which on the pipes is D minor)
I leave this one to the Lowland pipes which easily accomodates the modular shift (Ditto The Wexford Carol, which is gorgeous on Lowland pipes)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Paul Ouellette
Forum Clasp

This thread reminded me of an interesting exchange years ago between Dave Martin of Detroit Mich, & Frank Edgley of Windsor Ont, who were at the time (early 60's perhaps..) both playing for the St Andrews PB in Detroit.

I wasn't there to hear the exchange, however, the story goes that Frank was playing a Donald MacLeod tune (not sure which one..) & apparently he had taken the liberty to re-set a phrase in one of the parts.

After he was done playing, Dave said to him (privately) "you know Frank...until you're as good as Donald MacLeod, you shouldn't be altering his tunes" !!

To which Frank responded..."actually Dave, the way it works is...until YOU'RE as good as Donald MacLeod, you're not allowed to tell me I can't" !!

Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

OUCH! I can hear Bruce laughing, now!