Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
thehyperpiper
Forum Member

Default What do you do with your old pipe bags ( besides throw them away)

Hi Everyone,

When I started piping, I bought my pipes with a Canmore bag, because I was wrongly informed that it would last virtually forever with no maintenance. It only held up for a few years, possibly because one year in competition I left them out in the sun at various games and the glue loosened. I still have its body in my basement, and it is soon to be joined by my second bag, a Scotian that has served me well for about 7 years, but even after slathering it with L&M sealant and conditioner, it's just not playing well.

I'll be buying a new one ( probably another Scotian as I had no complaints with it at all. Maybe i'll take better care of this one and get even more life out of it), but I'll have two useless bags in the basement now. I was just wondering what you all do with your bags when you replace them. I saw one thread with a suggestion of how to repair the goretex bag (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...=138063&page=3), but to be honest I'm not really interested in tying in an old damaged bag. Maybe If I had a set of sticks and stocks laying around that weren't assembled I'd consider that. Any other creative ideas of what to do with old bags? A hanging tomato planter, perhaps?
thehyperpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: What do you do with your old pipe bags ( besides throw them away)

Haha! Good question. I still have all of my old bags - never actually thought to throw them away. I'm NOT a hoarder!

I know back in the day some used them (the hide ones) to make their own homemade flapper valves. Not sure what people do with them now. Kind of an odd thing to take to the dump.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Believe it not, I washed my old Canmore bag , cut it up, and used it to make some Goretex liners between the wool exterior and the interior lining in a couple of bonnets I wear in foul weather. The outside of the bonnets can be sopping wet, but the inside liner and my head stay dry. At least that's my experience after a couple of gigs in pouring rain and cold this March and April.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehyperpiper View Post
Hi Everyone,

When I started piping, I bought my pipes with a Canmore bag, because I was wrongly informed that it would last virtually forever with no maintenance. It only held up for a few years, possibly because one year in competition I left them out in the sun at various games and the glue loosened. I still have its body in my basement, and it is soon to be joined by my second bag, a Scotian that has served me well for about 7 years, but even after slathering it with L&M sealant and conditioner, it's just not playing well.

I'll be buying a new one ( probably another Scotian as I had no complaints with it at all. Maybe i'll take better care of this one and get even more life out of it), but I'll have two useless bags in the basement now. I was just wondering what you all do with your bags when you replace them. I saw one thread with a suggestion of how to repair the goretex bag (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...=138063&page=3), but to be honest I'm not really interested in tying in an old damaged bag. Maybe If I had a set of sticks and stocks laying around that weren't assembled I'd consider that. Any other creative ideas of what to do with old bags? A hanging tomato planter, perhaps?
I took a perfectly good...but unplayable anymore '99 Gannaway bag.. opened it up and washed seasoning residue away... used ?? a small bar glass as a guide to neatly cut around the stock holes making them about 2" diameter. 3-4 students have since used it as 'doggie coat' under their bagcover to 'beef up' a balloon-ey feeling Canmore or other limp synthetic bag. Did the trick until they either got new pipes and /or a better bag.

Otherwise ... i've still got 3-4 old unzipped L&M's , early Canmore, and a Gannaway literally moulding away in the basement.

Light Bulb!! ..that's the musty smell she's been complaining about!!
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
raymac
Forum Gold Medal

make a goose
raymac
raymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Scott Bryant
Forum Silver Medal

A friend of mine on here used to make sporrans out of old bags...
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
wysper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Bryant View Post
A friend of mine on here used to make sporrans out of old bags...
Hey now that is cool.

“Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.” ― Paul Brandt
wysper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
MatthewSlater
Forum Regular

Never thrown one away - always repaired them.
MatthewSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Drewz Dronez
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewSlater View Post
Never thrown one away - always repaired them.
I would love a dollar for each time I have heard someone say "I paid such and such $ for that bag 25 years ago and I am not going to throw it way/buy a new one"! Even though the bag in question leaks like a sieve, has numerous patches and the pipe couldn't blow a steady tone with the bag to save his life!

http://www.blacktownpipeband.com
Drewz Dronez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
MatthewSlater
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewz Dronez View Post
I would love a dollar for each time I have heard someone say "I paid such and such $ for that bag 25 years ago and I am not going to throw it way/buy a new one"! Even though the bag in question leaks like a sieve, has numerous patches and the pipe couldn't blow a steady tone with the bag to save his life!
If they were leaking that badly, I might have to do something more drastic. I also know a few guys who are playing hide/sheepskin, that have had them last decades. Take care of your instrument, and it seems less likely to fail on you.
MatthewSlater is offline   Reply With Quote