Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Newish wooden Sinclair chanter, opinions.

Five years from now, they might as well march out with Spanish pipes.
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #12
Kirby Allen
Holy smoking keyboard!

If we're lucky we'll all be too old to hear them when it happens!

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/
Kirby Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #13
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Guys, this chanter was played in Grade I band, so this pitch is where the top boys are playing. It sounds good in a band context, or are you saying that you can't listen to Grade I bands anymore?

I certainly agree that it is way too sharp for a solo instrument.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Guys, this chanter was played in Grade I band, so this pitch is where the top boys are playing.
I think there may be some relevance in the word 'was' here. I recently noticed a few similarly described chanters finding their way on to a well known auction site with comments indicating that they had been selected for a Grade One band which had moved (pretty quickly) on to something else. One has to ask why did they not stick with these? Was the pitch too high? Is this the standard pitch that is coming out of Sinclair's shop these days or were these a special order or experiment?

I couldn't say for definite at what pitch 'the top boys' (in terms of bands) are actually producing in terms of pitch these days but my ear would suggest nearer 480 than 490 (and that's still a bit high for my taste!).
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:54 AM   #15
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Newish wooden Sinclair chanter, opinions.

It is not a one off. A sharp Sinclair thread comes up every so often and outside of the forum, I haven't encountered anyone who says their Sinclair tunes sub-487.

Regarding Grade 1 bands, I have no idea, but I know my G1 platinum, the same model apparently used by Inveraray, tunes 486+.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 AM   #16
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
It is not a one off. A sharp Sinclair thread comes up every so often and outside of the forum, I haven't encountered anyone who says their Sinclair tunes sub-487.

Regarding Grade 1 bands, I have no idea, but I know my G1 platinum, the same model apparently used by Inveraray, tunes 486+.
SHARP is a cup half empty characterization. I prefer to think of it as Flat B, the cup is 3/4 full.. they can do better, and likely will
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #17
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Newish wooden Sinclair chanter, opinions.

Yes, but for the sake of clarity of conversation, any reasonable convention would be 466, if not 478(ish). Therefore, SHARP is the most clear adjective. There's already enough confusion over reference pitches with respect to A or Bb. I highly doubt the pitch will climb much higher, though I bet that was said 20 years ago, so muddying the waters further with a B reference is unnecessary.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #18
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

I bet that was said 20 years ago, .....
... absolutely..... and 20 years before then too; ...like when the PM of a famous CAN world's champion band said about 15 yrs ago ( in a band DVD) ... " we can't play 18 pipers in the circle ... any more is just not tuneable ... we'll have 16-17 " ... and more words to that effect.
Today the tops bands are at about +50%.

... anyone have a 'list' of which world's top bands are now playing new Sinclair's?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #19
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Yes, but for the sake of clarity of conversation, any reasonable convention would be 466, if not 478(ish). Therefore, SHARP is the most clear adjective. There's already enough confusion over reference pitches with respect to A or Bb. I highly doubt the pitch will climb much higher, though I bet that was said 20 years ago, so muddying the waters further with a B reference is unnecessary.

Can anyone name another instrument which is pitched in B natural? Anyone? Buehler?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #20
Thom Lenahan
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Can anyone name another instrument which is pitched in B natural? Anyone? Buehler?
Some flutes are pitched in B like the Turkish duduk and native American flutes.

Thom

Last edited by Thom Lenahan; 05-01-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Thom Lenahan is offline   Reply With Quote