Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Fake 'ivory'

Meh.
I used to care about aesthetics.

I don't even notice it. The only thing I don't like is lots of metal. Lots of metal=lots of weight.

I picked up a set of pipes mounted in full silver after the owner chucked them about 20 feet just after we left the contest circle because he was mad that he made about a thousand errors.

I was amazed...not that he chucked a set worth a couple thou, but that he had the strength too send them that far down range. When I picked those things up and felt how heave they were, I vowed NEVER to play anything with that kind of weight. You could gift me a set of delicious sounding pipes worth thousands, fully mounted in silver. And I'd have those bad boys up for sale immediately. Couldn't pay me to play 'em. Ugh.
John Haack is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #12
super8mm
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Agreed thereís nothing like the real thing...especially when so nicely polished you can see below its polished surface.

But meanwhile there is faux ivory / ivorine similar to as used by R.T. Shepherd that even with close scrutiny looks uniquely Ďsimilarí.

Itís readily available from suppliers ..wonder why more pipe makers donít use it.
I bought some of the imitation stuff to repair a friends old Naill chanter that he dropped.

It sells for $10.00 per inch
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #13
Alex Anderson
Forum Clasp

I may be wrong here, but once I heard that customs could tell the difference between real ivory and imitation using the hot needle test. Supposedly a hot needle will melt the plastic but not real ivory.

Does that mean if you go through customs with imitation ivory and they do the hot needle test, you will pass but you will now have a burn mark. Is this the case?
Old 03-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #14
super8mm
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Anderson View Post
I may be wrong here, but once I heard that customs could tell the difference between real ivory and imitation using the hot needle test. Supposedly a hot needle will melt the plastic but not real ivory.

Does that mean if you go through customs with imitation ivory and they do the hot needle test, you will pass but you will now have a burn mark. Is this the case?
here is a interesting read on the subject

Real or Fake Ivory
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to All,

I shall begin with the simple fact... that much of the
only "chemistry" that I have ever mastered... is to be
found... in a mug o' Guinness... and with several old
combination-liquid ingredients added... that soon slay
the heartiest!! (That old drink, Blood & Sand, will do. :)

So I haven't the foggiest as to exactly how... imitation
ivory is concocted... and I concur that much of it is...
and bordering upon... the ghastly... and especially as
that Old Devil Time... and sun, and cold, and rain have
all taken their toll.

However... back around 2006 (if memory serves for the
year)... Dunbar Bagpipes Ltd. began to restore (and "to
original condition") a very old set of Lawries for me... and
part of their faultless restoration... was their use of their
imitation ivory... which looked just damned-well superb!! :)

Since then... "The Old Set"... has been played all over
North America... and the Caribbean... and in Central
America... and in Europe... and that Old Devil... Time...
has yet... to sully... or decrease... the warmth or the hue...
of Dunbar's imitation ivory. (And no chips!!, either!! :)

And so... there is some imitation ivory out there... that
does bear due consideration and use... if you can find it :)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Old 03-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #16
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Anderson View Post

A simple test is real ivory will ...always...be cool(er) to the touch compared to imitation. Even in hot summer.

The hot needle test of course is true..it will melt plastic....but even trained customs agents donít do that.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #17
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haack View Post
You could gift me a set of delicious sounding pipes worth thousands, fully mounted in silver. And I'd have those bad boys up for sale immediately. Couldn't pay me to play 'em. Ugh.
Send them to me. Happy to play them.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #18
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

I was looking at buying a new set of pipes in '09 and was looking at options....I mentioned to a friend "Should I go with the cheaper plastic mounts or go all out and do silver?"

Her immediate reply "Plastic....why lug all that weight around".

I then opted for a resin impregnated wood mount (Holly) and LOVE IT. I thought the wood would be easy to chip and damage but it's not!

A couple of friends just ordered the same pipes in '17 and the sets that were immediately available were with nickle silver mounts. They didn't want to wait so they ordered the nickle silver mounts......their pipes are so heavy! I couldn't imagine carrying them around all day! Yuck!

If you don't like imitation ivory, aluminum might be the best option.

Jenni
Old 03-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #19
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

A couple of things in this string, to the point first.
A century ago a common material for "fake ivory" was celluloid. It has lines like ivory, but these are parallel unlike ivory which has irregular lines. Celluloid was also used for handles on dinner flatware, and on hairbrushes and related items. I have an old shoe horn made of celluloid which is stamped "French ivory", the common name for the material, and the projecting mounts on my ca. 1900 pipes are also made of it. On all of these the celluloid has aged and darkened into an attractive darkish yellow shade, but nothing like the pumpkin shade of later pipes. Celluloid went out of use because it tended to burst into flames when heated - on lathes for example, I guess.

And I, too, got a light set of pipes for band use, a repro J & R Glen button mount set with holly rings and caps in a nice honey colour.

I do not care for the starker white of modern artificial ivory, but I guess it's what one gets used to.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #20
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

FWIW, the artificial ivory on My Ayrshire Bagpipe Co. Poly set is a nice warm off-white/ecru color. ( But I like my Pumpkin Spice Catalin-Mounted G&Ms the way they are)