Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #31
mpage
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 133
Default Re: Parade cancellations

Salt Lake City's is cancelled.
mpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #32
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,029
Default Re: Parade cancellations

San Diego is cancelled, along with our other Irish celebrations around town
__________________
You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #33
DapperDan
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 159
Default Re: Parade cancellations

Tartan Day parade (April 4th) in NYC cancelled.

All the remaining St. Patrick's Day parades in the NJ area are cancelled. I marched one last weekend, seems like that will be it. There's a neighborhood party at a neighbor's house that I was going to play at this weekend. They cancelled, but asked if I would walk up and down the street playing my pipes. We have the advantage of being able to play for people at a safe distance I suppose.

Hoping everyone stays well.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #34
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North America
Posts: 3,599
Default Re: Parade cancellations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan


. We have the advantage of being able to play for people at a safe distance I suppose.

Hoping everyone stays well.




Greetings to All,

In this matter of safety... public health... and our being
able to play... "at a safe distance"... please allow me
to offer this following personal & professional history...
and my recent concomitant clinical observations.

I returned to North America and the U.S. Midwest from
another overseas trip, via an airline, the 24th of February.

On the 27th I flew to Massachusetts for a social gathering
(and for which I did not play :) of scientists... and medical
professionals... and students in and of both fields... and
friends and families... to celebrate the good fortune of a
colleague.

On Saint David's Day, the 1st of March... I again flew back
to Heaven's Own... U.S. Midwest... and very well apprised...
from those dozen-odd conversations undertaken during that
recent gathering... of the scope... and severity... and the
speed... of this present invasive viral contagion.

The following Saturday evening, March 7th... I was engaged
to again play for an annual charity ball... and for which I have
now played for many years... and which I also greatly enjoy!!

Knowing what I had learned in Massachusetts... what to do?!

Even though there were only 5 confirmed cases in a 200 mile
radius of the engagement... I knew... that it was... more than
statistically possible... for there to be... by the 7th... a 20-fold
increase... in the number of... non-symptomatic carriers... in
our... immediate area!!

Fortunately... having played for this event many times before...
I knew that this ballroom was huge... and that without causing
any social consternation... I could easily keep myself... at a
very safe clinical distance... and thereby protect both myself...
and... any people with whom I would (or might) be... in later
contact... such as family... friends... or just plain strangers. :)

Even though there was almost no... close contact (four feet)
with anyone there... there were several discrete trips to the
men's john... washing face and hands... and beaucoup use
of self-brought hand sanitizer. (Also, use that on your steering
wheel and gear shift.)

"Medical Asepsis"... unless you are use to it (rather like keeping
the little finger down... when playing C :) ... is often ...difficult to
maintain.

There is presently a viral (no pun intended :) vid of a medical
professional... giving tips on how not to contract COVID-19...
and quite inadvertently... she keeps touching her face... while
giving the lesson.

On the 8th, 9th and 10th... I cancelled all... of my engagements...
through the first week of April... and after that... as GrandMama
was wont to say... "We'll see... We'll see."... :)

We shall all do as we wish... but for my part... it just ain't worth
th' bleedin' risk... to anyone else... with whom I might be... in
later contact. (It is... and rightly called... Public Health. :)

With Regards, and Wishing Good Health... to All,

Pip01




__________________
My friends all know,
With what a brave carouse...

Last edited by Pip01; 03-13-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #35
piper Q
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Currently Mississippi, who knows where next
Posts: 507
Default Re: Parade cancellations

Mississippi 3 coastal Counties with St. Patricks events:
Biloxi Mississippi Canceled,
Jackson MS Canceled.
Waveland MS Canceled
Shamrocking the coast Canceled


I guess the Pascagoula & Gautier School District beat the wire by 1 day this past week. I've done an annual event for the combined 4th Grades of all the schools on Thursday.

So probably the closest the children will come to a SPD parade this year.

I did go out to the local waterfront to practice last night, so those who were partaking of the late evening air were afforded a nice practice seassion..
__________________
Breaching the peace? What bagpipes officer?

Last edited by piper Q; 03-14-2020 at 12:29 PM.
piper Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #36
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: WV to the OC
Posts: 10,269
Default Re: Parade cancellations

Several of the cancelled gigs have said actually worded it "postponed".

Hmmm... that brings up the question: Will there be no St Patricks Day activities of any sort until next 17 March?

Or a few months from now can some kind of ersatz St Patricks Day be created?

As Disney might put it, an "un-St Patricks Day".

I doubt that hundreds of different parade organisers and thousands of different party organisers could ever get on the same page to do that.

But if it was somehow done, how cool would it be?
__________________
proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #37
kful
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Orange County, CA
Posts: 117
Default Re: Parade cancellations

I hereby nominate August 17th as Belated Saint Patrick’s Day 2020.
__________________
Would you say I have a plethora of piñatas?

-El Guapo
kful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:31 AM   #38
Helvetica
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Continental Europe
Posts: 288
Default Re: Parade cancellations

It seems as though most of the posters on this thread are from North America. All I can say is "hooray" so many people/organizations are pro-actively banning large gatherings, and to everyone PLEASE TAKE SOCIAL DISTANCING and QUARANTINE VERY SERIOUSLY. The only way to stop this disease from spreading is to stop giving it the chance to spread.



I live on the continent of Europe, and for weeks the government has always been a week or two behind where it should have been in terms of cancelling events, schools, etc.. Now the entire country has essentially ground to a halt, and we are all facing weeks of quarantine and social isolation. The ICUs are overflowing, and even young people (in their 30s) are being admitted to hospital with severe respiratory issues. I work in a research lab with living organisms, and our entire department is being faced with having to lose months and months of research work due to the university being closed even to staff. We don't know when we'll be able to get going again, but for the PhD students especially this is a disaster.



To make things even worse for me, I am in the middle of treatment for cancer, and have to visit the hospital five days a week for radiation therapy, where just one floor above me is the pulmonology department where the beds are lining the hallways. My oncologist doesn't want to stop the radiation partway through (apparently it hugely increases the risk of recurrence), but I also don't want to contract corona, or (even worse) be responsible for passing it on to another cancer patient who would be more immunocomprimised than me. So I'm weighing up my chances for a recurrence of cancer against the chances of me contracting or passing on corona. What's a girl to do?



Please do all you can to stop the spread. It's not just the elderly who are affected: accident victims, people who need kidney dialysis, cancer patient, women having difficult pregnancies, etc. all need hospital treatment, but our doctors and nurses are contracting corona and heading into quarantine left, right, and centre. This is so not a joke.
Helvetica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #39
DapperDan
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 159
Default Re: Parade cancellations

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Several of the cancelled gigs have said actually worded it "postponed".

Hmmm... that brings up the question: Will there be no St Patricks Day activities of any sort until next 17 March?

Or a few months from now can some kind of ersatz St Patricks Day be created?

As Disney might put it, an "un-St Patricks Day".

I doubt that hundreds of different parade organisers and thousands of different party organisers could ever get on the same page to do that.

But if it was somehow done, how cool would it be?
Some of the towns here in NJ have said they want to reschedule the parades for September. That would be nice if it works out - pleasant weather (hopefully), and the various bands and other organizations that count on this holiday for a good part of their budget will recoup some of the parade fees they're missing this March.

September 17th is sometimes celebrated in pubs around here as "halfway to St. Patrick's Day," so there's already a precedent.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #40
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 3,903
Default Re: Parade cancellations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
It seems as though most of the posters on this thread are from North America. All I can say is "hooray" so many people/organizations are pro-actively banning large gatherings, and to everyone PLEASE TAKE SOCIAL DISTANCING and QUARANTINE VERY SERIOUSLY. The only way to stop this disease from spreading is to stop giving it the chance to spread.

I live on the continent of Europe, and for weeks the government has always been a week or two behind where it should have been in terms of cancelling events, schools, etc.. Now the entire country has essentially ground to a halt, and we are all facing weeks of quarantine and social isolation. The ICUs are overflowing, and even young people (in their 30s) are being admitted to hospital with severe respiratory issues. I work in a research lab with living organisms, and our entire department is being faced with having to lose months and months of research work due to the university being closed even to staff. We don't know when we'll be able to get going again, but for the PhD students especially this is a disaster.

To make things even worse for me, I am in the middle of treatment for cancer, and have to visit the hospital five days a week for radiation therapy, where just one floor above me is the pulmonology department where the beds are lining the hallways. My oncologist doesn't want to stop the radiation partway through (apparently it hugely increases the risk of recurrence), but I also don't want to contract corona, or (even worse) be responsible for passing it on to another cancer patient who would be more immunocomprimised than me. So I'm weighing up my chances for a recurrence of cancer against the chances of me contracting or passing on corona. What's a girl to do?

Please do all you can to stop the spread. It's not just the elderly who are affected: accident victims, people who need kidney dialysis, cancer patient, women having difficult pregnancies, etc. all need hospital treatment, but our doctors and nurses are contracting corona and heading into quarantine left, right, and centre. This is so not a joke.
Thanks for the warning to take this seriously, Helvetica, without the accompanying (and ridiculous) panic. However, all the best for you in your treatment and recovery. You underscore well the many issues; and I know that we all hope for completion of your treatment and long life!
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.