Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: U.P. of Michigan, USA
Posts: 621
Default What the.... ?!

I was playing some piob stuff on my PC a couple of days ago, and I ran into something that really annoyed and surprised me.

My edres and crunluaths had been, up until now, something I felt I was super solid with. Now I see that I'm sometimes lifting my left index finger instead of my middle finger (and then my left ring finger) when playing an edre! WHAT? When did that start? Crap.

I guess it's now back to the woodshed, practicing thousands of slow, deliberate edres and crunluaths each day, keeping that left index finger down, and waking up the left middle. Apparently somewhere along the way, my index finger told my middle finger it could take some time off. :-(
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: WV to the OC
Posts: 10,263
Default Re: What the.... ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Walton View Post
I'm sometimes lifting my left index finger instead of my middle finger (and then my left ring finger) when playing an edre! WHAT? When did that start?
Gotta lay off them uilleann pipes, dude.
__________________
proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: U.P. of Michigan, USA
Posts: 621
Default Re: What the.... ?!

I donít play uilleann pipes.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
johnsog
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 282
Default Re: What the.... ?!

That does happen sometimes, at least for me. Something I've practiced zillions of time and have down pat suddenly makes me wonder whose hand have become attached to my wrists as they certainly aren't behaving the way mine did.. I don't know what's going on with that but it is frustrating. Usually focused practice at a later time helps things reset. Good luck!!
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: WV to the OC
Posts: 10,263
Default Re: What the.... ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Walton View Post
I donít play uilleann pipes.
Thing is, you exactly described a standard uilleann pipe ornament.

So if you ever take them up, your fingers will be ready.
__________________
proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #6
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North America
Posts: 3,593
Default Re: What the.... ?!





Greetings to All,

Hmm... Some time past (and not wishing to
start a row :) I had the same thing happen
with what was then called (in the old CoP
Tutor Book) the Double D... and was the
first option given.

Don't know why... just one day... I had to
sit down... and re-construct... all... of the
finger movements.

Funny... haven't thought of that for donkeys
years. :)

Does this sort of thing happen with other
movements?

'Twill be interesting to see what others say.

Regard to All,

Pip01



__________________
My friends all know,
With what a brave carouse...
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: WV to the OC
Posts: 10,263
Default Re: What the.... ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip01 View Post
I had the same thing happen with what was then called (in the old CoP Tutor Book) the Double D and was the first option given. Don't know why, just one day I had to sit down and re-construct all of the finger movements.
Yes what a thing to think of! Wowza.

Imagine me, an ignorant teenager in a place with no pipers within hundreds of miles, in 1974 (no internet) with the CoP book and a Lawrie practice chanter, who had never seen a practice chanter before, nor had ever seen bagpipes in person, trying to make sense of that very thing!

Looking back, it's the most poorly-written part of the book. It talks for two entire pages giving numerous different examples and tells you an unusual name for the movement to boot.

A far easier way to teach that form of D-throw, in my opinion, is to first teach the grip/leumluath on C.

Then have the student play a grip on C, followed by lifting the index-finger to get D.

But since the CoP does the reverse, teaching the D-throw before the grip, it has to resort to an out-of-context cockamamy way of describing and writing a grip on C (embedded in the D-throw).

How many teachers, when teaching through the CoP Tutor, have written a huge X across page 32?
__________________
proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-27-2020 at 07:14 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Lyme, CT
Posts: 1,519
Default Re: What the.... ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Yes what a thing to think of! Wowza.

Imagine me, an ignorant teenager in a place with no pipers within hundreds of miles, in 1974 (no internet) with the CoP book and a Lawrie practice chanter, who had never seen a practice chanter before, nor had ever seen bagpipes in person, trying to make sense of that very thing!

Looking back, it's the most poorly-written part of the book. It talks for two entire pages giving numerous different examples and tells you an unusual name for the movement to boot.

A far easier way to teach that form of D-throw, in my opinion, is to first teach the grip/leumluath on C.

Then have the student play a grip on C, followed by lifting the index-finger to get D.

But since the CoP does the reverse, teaching the D-throw before the grip, it has to resort to an out-of-context cockamamy way of describing and writing a grip on C (embedded in the D-throw).

How many teachers, when teaching through the CoP Tutor, have written a huge X across page 32?

YES!!!! That was probably one of the biggest reasons why I stopped trying to learn the pipes (a couple of years before you started), switched to drumming, and never looked back. The CoP Tutor w/ a Lawrie practice chanter, and that Double-D.
__________________
Why lacrosse is better than baseball:
Because hitting a person and then running to a ball is better than hitting a ball and running to a person. From Lax Magazine
rpeitzsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 AM.